Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Simple ( I thought) X Y Axis point plotting

Help . I have been trying and failing to sucessfully plot x , y co
ordinates from worksheet data containing 3 columns One being the name of
the location the next being the x co ords and the final one bieng the y
co ord.
I can not get these simple points to be plotted. I am using x,y
scatter but tried bubble too
Why is this apparently simple task getting the better of me.

Ps the number of records may eventualy exceed 255 points and that seems
to pop up as an issue too

--
Wobbles
Wobbles's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=365

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

It would be helpful to know what version of Excel you are using. If it's
excel 2007...

(1) Click the "insert" tab

(2) Click on the "scatter" button in the "Charts" group.

(3) Click a chart type from the drop down menu ie. with/without lines etc.
This will insert an empty chart box onto your sheet.

(4) Right click on the empty chart and click "select data" - this will bring
up the "select data source" window.

(5) In this new window, click the "add" button. This will bring up the "Edit
Series" window with three text boxes.

(6) in the "series name" box, give your data a name - this can be anything,
ie.. fred/data1/mydata etc.

(7) Click on the little "select range" button to the right of the "series x
values" textbox - once the next "edit series" window appears, just highlight
the appropriate x-coordinates from your spreadsheet with the cursor. Excel
will then write the appropriate formula into the textbox. Click the button
with the little red arrow in the "edit series" window to return.

(8) Repeat step 7 for the "series y values" box

(9) Click OK on the "edit series" window

(10) Click OK on the "Select data source" window.

That should be it, you should have a nice x-y plot of your data. Hope this
helps, if it's an earlier version of excel, things look slightly different
but the method is very similar.

"Wobbles" wrote:

Help . I have been trying and failing to sucessfully plot x , y co
ordinates from worksheet data containing 3 columns One being the name of
the location the next being the x co ords and the final one bieng the y
co ord.
I can not get these simple points to be plotted. I am using x,y
scatter but tried bubble too
Why is this apparently simple task getting the better of me.

Ps the number of records may eventualy exceed 255 points and that seems
to pop up as an issue too

--
Wobbles
Wobbles's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=365
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=102087

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Sorry i am new to this forum and as when i signed up it asked what
versions i was using i thought the information was public knowledge , I
am in fact using excel 2002

:nw)

"Wobbles" wrote:

Help . I have been trying and failing to sucessfully plot x , y co
ordinates from worksheet data containing 3 columns One being the name

of
the location the next being the x co ords and the final one bieng the

co ord.
I can not get these simple points to be plotted. I am using x,y
scatter but tried bubble too
Why is this apparently simple task getting the better of me.

Ps the number of records may eventualy exceed 255 points and that

seems
to pop up as an issue too

--
Wobbles

Wobbles's Profile: 'The Code Cage Forums - View Profile: Wobbles'

(http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=365)
View this thread: 'Simple ( I thought) X Y Axis point plotting - The

Code Cage Forums'
(http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=102087)

--
Wobbles
Wobbles's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=365
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=102087

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thank you for the explanation of the x y however it does not work, I
have a list of values in on column i am using as x co ords , i have
another list as y co ords and the third columns is names that correspond
to the co ords , when i try to plot it my results are either one
plotted or then all but only on one axis.
Certain areas of the graph could get crowed so my perfect solution
would be to many even go one step further so that hovering or clicking a
point will bring up the name, that is a less important thing than
getting the bleedin things plotted correctly :(

Wobbles;364331 Wrote:
Sorry i am new to this forum and as when i signed up it asked what
versions i was using i thought the information was public knowledge , I
am in fact using excel 2002

:nw)

--
Wobbles
Wobbles's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=365
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=102087

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

How do you expect the labels to be plotted? Charts plot X values vs Y
values, with one label per series.

You could tediously plot each separate X-Y pair as its own series with its
own series name label, but it will take a long time, and you'll find you
can't have more than 255 such series, as if there is room with all those
labels.

Or you could select the X and Y values together (hopefully your X data is in
a column and the Y data in the next column to the right) and create an XY
chart. Then download one of these free Excel utilities to add the third
column as data labels on the points:

Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm
John Walkenbach's Chart Tools,
http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/charttools.htm

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

Two weeks away:

Advanced Excel Conference - June 17-18 2009 - Charting and Programming
http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009...00906ACNJ.html
_______

Wobbles;364331 Wrote:
Sorry i am new to this forum and as when i signed up it asked what
versions i was using i thought the information was public knowledge , I
am in fact using excel 2002

:nw)

--
Wobbles
Wobbles's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=365
View this thread:
http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=102087

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi thanks again for your reply, The Name labels are less important and i
can live without them. my x co ords are in column n on my sheet and my y
co ords are in column o . I have just tried to do a dummy chart on a
fresh spreadsheet and it works more or less ,but the moment i apply the
same technique to my actual data it fails , the columns n and o are made
from an earlier column in the format NNN/NNN i am using "Left" and
"Right" function to manipulate just the NNN before the / for x and the
NNN after for y . These results columns are formatted as numeric
integers .

Jon Peltier;365153 Wrote:
How do you expect the labels to be plotted? Charts plot X values vs Y
values, with one label per series.

You could tediously plot each separate X-Y pair as its own series with
its
own series name label, but it will take a long time, and you'll find
you
can't have more than 255 such series, as if there is room with all
those
labels.

Or you could select the X and Y values together (hopefully your X data
is in
a column and the Y data in the next column to the right) and create an
XY
chart. Then download one of these free Excel utilities to add the
third
column as data labels on the points:

Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, 'XY Chart Labeler'

http://tinyurl.com/crqwu6
_______

Wobbles;364331 Wrote:
Sorry i am new to this forum and as when i signed up it asked what
versions i was using i thought the information was public knowledge

, I
am in fact using excel 2002

:nw)

--
Wobbles

Wobbles's Profile: 'The Code Cage Forums - View Profile: Wobbles'

(http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=365)
View this thread:
'Simple ( I thought) X Y Axis point plotting - The Code Cage Forums'

(http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=102087)

--- Automerged consecutive post before response ---
PS the links you sent dont work unfortunately ;(

Wobbles;364844 Wrote:
Thank you for the explanation of the x y however it does not work, I
have a list of values in on column i am using as x co ords , i have
another list as y co ords and the third columns is names that correspond
to the co ords , when i try to plot it my results are either one
plotted or then all but only on one axis.
Certain areas of the graph could get crowed so my perfect solution
would be to many even go one step further so that hovering or clicking a
point will bring up the name, that is a less important thing than
getting the bleedin things plotted correctly :(

--
Wobbles
Wobbles's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=365
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=102087

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Wobbles, the links do work, click them :) the pop up you see that says
limit exceeded is a technical issue with this site (soon to be resolved
:)) and it only relates to displaying a thumbnail of the site the link
belongs to.

If you are still having trouble with the links let me know - however, i
clicked them and they work fine.

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=102087

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thank you Simon the links did ultimately work ,

I am impressed with this forum people aree so quick to reply ,

Finalising my plotting issue I now have a grid correctly ploting my
points and indicating the axes when i mouse overhowever the pop up top
line say series name and a point number can it be manipulated to show a
name of the plotted location without manually keying it in per point ?

Simon Lloyd;365290 Wrote:
Wobbles, the links do work, click them :) the pop up you see that says
limit exceeded is a technical issue with this site (soon to be resolved
:)) and it only relates to displaying a thumbnail of the site the link
belongs to.

If you are still having trouble with the links let me know - however, i
clicked them and they work fine.

--
Wobbles
Wobbles's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=365
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=102087

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Wobbles -

What else you should know about these links is that Code Cage is one of at
least several dozen places where these questions and answers appear. The
content itself is hosted on Microsoft's NNTP servers, and other NNTP servers
replicate it, and various web outlets replicate the content in their own web
interfaces.

Profiles, ratings, and the like are nearly meaningless, since such a small
fraction of the users see any given outlet. The replies you receive are not
even likely to come from the same host you used to post the question.

- Jon
-------

"Simon Lloyd" wrote in message

Wobbles, the links do work, click them :) the pop up you see that says
limit exceeded is a technical issue with this site (soon to be resolved
:)) and it only relates to displaying a thumbnail of the site the link
belongs to.

If you are still having trouble with the links let me know - however, i
clicked them and they work fine.

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
Simon Lloyd's Profile:
http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=1
View this thread:
http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=102087

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

If you use LEFT and RIGHT to generate cell content, this comes out as text,
not numbers. Excel is likely to plot only one point, at X=1 and Y=0.

To convert your text to numeric plottable values, put a double minus sign in
front:

=--LEFT(A1,3)
=--RIGHT(A1,3)

The minus sign closest to the LEFT or RIGHT forces Excel to try to evaluate
the expression as a number. The minus sign before that is needed to convert
the resulting negative number to a positive.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/

Don't miss it! Only two weeks away!