Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Multiplying a column of data by a constant

I am budgeting costs for the upcoming year. There is a column of data that
corresponds to the employee's health insurance cost that is keyed in data
(not a formula). I want to multiply each cell in this column by 1.1 to
project a 10% increase in cost. Is there quick way to do this without
creating a new column and pasting over the original?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Put 1.1 in a spare cell and COPY this cell.

Highlight your column, then do Paste Special =[Operation]==Multiply

Delete 1.1 from your "working" cell

HTH

"Zach" wrote:

I am budgeting costs for the upcoming year. There is a column of data that
corresponds to the employee's health insurance cost that is keyed in data
(not a formula). I want to multiply each cell in this column by 1.1 to
project a 10% increase in cost. Is there quick way to do this without
creating a new column and pasting over the original?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

Enter 1.1 in an empty cell
Copy that cell: EditCopy
Select the range of cells you want to increase
Goto EditPaste SpecialMultiplyOK
Delete the 1.1

Biff

"Zach" wrote in message
I am budgeting costs for the upcoming year. There is a column of data that
corresponds to the employee's health insurance cost that is keyed in data
(not a formula). I want to multiply each cell in this column by 1.1 to
project a 10% increase in cost. Is there quick way to do this without
creating a new column and pasting over the original?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Zach

Put 1.1 in an unused cell.

Copy it.

Select your data range and EditPaste SpecialMultiplyOKEsc.

Delete cell with the 1.1

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP