Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default trying to make a table where one number stays the same

Alright I am trying to write a formula for interest. So far it is =(SUM
X,(Product(X,Y))). Alright the problem i am having is i want my program to
look really clean and i have y as the percent interest one would be getting
as a number in a cell at the top of the column and i want to be able to use
that as a number in my formula that all you see is for example A5. is there
anyway that when i continue to carry and copy it down my row that i can keep
it as a5. essentially making it some absolute?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

To make a cell reference absolute, press <F4. This will insert $ figures
before the A and the 5 in your example, to show $A$5. Pressing <F4
repeatedly, will change the way it is absolutised to eg $A5, A$5 and back to
A5.$A5 gives an absolute column, which can be copied across from B to X or
whatever. A$5 gives an absolute row, which can be copied down from say row 6
to whatever. $A$5 is absolute column and row wise.

--
Hth

Kassie Kasselman
Change xxx to hotmail

"Confused" wrote:

Alright I am trying to write a formula for interest. So far it is =(SUM
X,(Product(X,Y))). Alright the problem i am having is i want my program to
look really clean and i have y as the percent interest one would be getting
as a number in a cell at the top of the column and i want to be able to use
that as a number in my formula that all you see is for example A5. is there
anyway that when i continue to carry and copy it down my row that i can keep
it as a5. essentially making it some absolute?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks! i took a class in high school but that has been a while...