molly

Default ### when the number is NOT negative?

using =SUM(G2:I2) it comes up at ## but there it shouldn't be a negative
value??
Bob Phillips

HTH

RP

"molly" wrote in message
using =SUM(G2:I2) it comes up at ## but there it shouldn't be a negative
value??

Bob Phillips

Is the column wide enough to display the answer.

--

HTH

RP

"molly" wrote in message
using =SUM(G2:I2) it comes up at ## but there it shouldn't be a negative
value??

Fred Smith

### has nothing to do with negative numbers. It's what Excel displays when
the column isn't wide enough to show the number. Widen the column
sufficiently. The easiest way to get the proper width is to double click the
right edge of the column header. (eg, if your number is in Column D,
position the cursor on the vertical line between D and E, wait until Excel
turns the cursor into a double headed arrow, then double click).

Fred
Please reply to newsgroup, not e-mail

"molly" wrote in message
using =SUM(G2:I2) it comes up at ## but there it shouldn't be a negative
value??

Dave Peterson

I've seen ###'s when I have negative numbers in a cell that's formatted as time
or date (and I'm not using the 1904 base date).

And I've seen ###'s when the value in the cell is numeric, but the format is
Number (say) and it won't fit. (Formatting as General will change the display
to Scientific--until the column is just too skinny to show even that.)

And I've seen ###'s when I had the long text in the cell and the cell was
formatted as Text. (Long text = 256 to 1024 characters).

molly wrote:

using =SUM(G2:I2) it comes up at ## but there it shouldn't be a negative
value??

--

Dave Peterson

Gord Dibben

Unless, of course, those negative values are dates or times which would show
the ####.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP