Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default conditional formatting in pivot tables based on another column

How do I conditionally format cells within a column of a pivot table based on
their relationship with another value within the pivot table? For example, I
want to format 2007 enrollment based on whether its up, down or the same as
2006 enrollment. The pivot is set up with years as column data (2007, 2006,
2005). The first row has enrollments of 10 vs. 15 last year - I want that
cell to be red. The 2nd row has enrollments of 25 this year vs. 20 last
year, I want that cell to be green.

In a perfect world, I would like to display a bar showing how up or down
enrollments are compared to last year...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

In a perfect world you would be using Excel 2007, but are you?

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Dave" wrote:

How do I conditionally format cells within a column of a pivot table based on
their relationship with another value within the pivot table? For example, I
want to format 2007 enrollment based on whether its up, down or the same as
2006 enrollment. The pivot is set up with years as column data (2007, 2006,
2005). The first row has enrollments of 10 vs. 15 last year - I want that
cell to be red. The 2nd row has enrollments of 25 this year vs. 20 last
year, I want that cell to be green.

In a perfect world, I would like to display a bar showing how up or down
enrollments are compared to last year...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Oh, just in case you think I'm just being sarcastic, Excel 2007 allow you to
display Data Bars in cells which sound like what you want.
--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Dave" wrote:

How do I conditionally format cells within a column of a pivot table based on
their relationship with another value within the pivot table? For example, I
want to format 2007 enrollment based on whether its up, down or the same as
2006 enrollment. The pivot is set up with years as column data (2007, 2006,
2005). The first row has enrollments of 10 vs. 15 last year - I want that
cell to be red. The 2nd row has enrollments of 25 this year vs. 20 last
year, I want that cell to be green.

In a perfect world, I would like to display a bar showing how up or down
enrollments are compared to last year...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's not usually a perfect world, but I am using Excel 2007. I knew I forgot
to add something in my post!

How do I conditionally format the values in the 2007 year column based on
their relationship to the corresponding value in the 2006 column?

"Dave" wrote:

How do I conditionally format cells within a column of a pivot table based on
their relationship with another value within the pivot table? For example, I
want to format 2007 enrollment based on whether its up, down or the same as
2006 enrollment. The pivot is set up with years as column data (2007, 2006,
2005). The first row has enrollments of 10 vs. 15 last year - I want that
cell to be red. The 2nd row has enrollments of 25 this year vs. 20 last
year, I want that cell to be green.

In a perfect world, I would like to display a bar showing how up or down
enrollments are compared to last year...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Suppose that the 2007 numbers are in G5:G8 of the pivot table and the 2006
numbers in column F5:F8:

Select the cell G5:G8 and choose Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight
Cell Rules, Greater Than. In the box on the left enter or select F5. Make
sure that the reference is relative, F5 or $F5 but not $F$5. In the box on
the right pick the format you want. Click OK.

Repeat the above steps but choose Less Than and the format you want for that.

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire