Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2010 not allowing me to paste as formula

I'm an experienced Excel user but I have run into a weird problem I
can't solve.

I recently had to reinstall Office 2010 (clean install) and now when I
want to copy a formula in say B10 to cells B11:B1000, I get a warning
saying "Data on the Clipboard is not the same size and shape as the
selected area. Do you want to paste the data anyway?" If I click "OK",
it pastes the value (not the formula) and it only pastes it in B11.

Also, if I try to paste via right click, Paste Special, it only gives
me Unicode and Text as options. None of the previous Paste Special
options (as formula, Multiply, Divide, etc. are there).

Anyone know how to solve this?

TIA
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Excel 2010 not allowing me to paste as formula

Hi there! It sounds like you're experiencing a frustrating issue with Excel 2010. Here are a few steps you can try to solve the problem:
  1. Check your Excel options: Go to File Options Advanced and scroll down to the "Cut, copy, and paste" section. Make sure the "Show Paste Options buttons" and "Show Insert Options buttons" boxes are checked. This will allow you to see more paste options when you right-click.
  2. Clear your clipboard: Sometimes the clipboard can get bogged down with old data, which can cause issues when pasting. Try clearing your clipboard by going to Home Clipboard Clear All.
  3. Try using the keyboard shortcuts: Instead of using the right-click menu, try using the keyboard shortcuts to paste as a formula. After copying the formula in B10, select the range B11:B1000 and press Ctrl+Alt+V. This will bring up the Paste Special dialog box, where you can select "Formulas" and click OK.
  4. Check your formatting: Make sure that the cells you're pasting into are formatted to accept formulas. You can do this by selecting the range and going to Home Number General.

I hope one of these solutions works for you!
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

kilohana was thinking very hard :
I'm an experienced Excel user but I have run into a weird problem I
can't solve.

I recently had to reinstall Office 2010 (clean install) and now when I
want to copy a formula in say B10 to cells B11:B1000, I get a warning
saying "Data on the Clipboard is not the same size and shape as the
selected area. Do you want to paste the data anyway?" If I click "OK",
it pastes the value (not the formula) and it only pastes it in B11.

Also, if I try to paste via right click, Paste Special, it only gives
me Unicode and Text as options. None of the previous Paste Special
options (as formula, Multiply, Divide, etc. are there).

Anyone know how to solve this?

TIA

Try...

You can avoid using the Clipboard by block-selecting all the cells to
receive the formula. Then while holding down the Ctrl key, select the
cell that contains the formula you want to copy to the other selected
cells. Press F2 to enter EditMode in the cell with the formula. Then
while holding down the Ctrl key, press the 'Enter' key so the contents
of the cell being edited are simultaneously entered into all selected
cells.

Alternatively, you can Ctrl-select all cells to receive the same input,
start typing, then use Ctrl+Enter to input to all selected cells
simultaneously.

--
Garry

ClassicVB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Junior Member

I am having the same problem as well. That solution worked, but the paste does not allow me to paste format either. How do i do that ? And how can i solve the problem ? Thanks.

Try...

You can avoid using the Clipboard by block-selecting all the cells to
receive the formula. Then while holding down the Ctrl key, select the
cell that contains the formula you want to copy to the other selected
cells. Press F2 to enter EditMode in the cell with the formula. Then
while holding down the Ctrl key, press the 'Enter' key so the contents
of the cell being edited are simultaneously entered into all selected
cells.

Alternatively, you can Ctrl-select all cells to receive the same input,
start typing, then use Ctrl+Enter to input to all selected cells
simultaneously.

--
Garry

ClassicVB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion[/quote]
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Posted today (03/22/2012) by Hans Vogelaar(MVP) at Eileen's Lounge...

"Since the 13th of March (2012), there has been a large number of complaints that the Paste Special
option in Excel (and Word) offers fewer options than it normally does.
Initially it wasn't clear what caused this problem, but it's starting to look like a recent update
to the Skype Click-to-Call browser add-in is the culprit."

"So if you are experiencing problems with Paste Special in Excel or Word, in particular if you can
only paste as plain text, and if you have the Skype Click-to-Call add-in, you may consider disabling
or uninstalling this add-in until Skype releases a fix."
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA .

"Tom Morrow"
wrote in message ...

[...]

Junior Member

ANSWER.
Thanks a lot, that worked. I removed click-to-call and rebooted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cone[_2_] View Post

wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Nice find, Jim!<g

--
Garry

ClassicVB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'd rather be good than lucky. <g
'---
Jim Cone

"GS"
wrote in message ...
Nice find, Jim!<g

--
Garry

ClassicVB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jim Cone was thinking very hard :

wrote in message ...
Nice find, Jim!<g

-- Garry

ClassicVB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Well.., sometimes 'being good' IS the result of being lucky.<g