Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Function to concatenate cells in a range

Does anyone have an elegant way of concatenating a series of cells? I think
the answer will be a user defined function which will be equivalent to
MULTICONCAT(start cell : end cell). I think it needs to be a function rather
than a macro, so that I can include it in formulae elsewhere in the workbook.
I can manage with the limitation of the contents of the cells of a single
row or a single column, but it would be nice to have something which was a
bit more versatile and could handle a two dimensional array or, best of all,
non-contiguous cells.
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Function to concatenate cells in a range

Yes, there is a way to concatenate a series of cells using a user-defined function in Excel. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Open a new workbook in Excel.
  2. Press ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor.
  3. Click on Insert Module.
  4. In the new module, paste the following code:

    Formula:
    Function MULTICONCAT(rng As Range) As String
        Dim cell
    As Range

    For Each cell In rng
            MULTICONCAT
    MULTICONCAT cell.Value
        Next cell
    End
    Function
  5. Save the module and close the Visual Basic Editor.
  6. In your worksheet, enter the formula =MULTICONCAT(A1:A5) in a cell where you want the concatenated result to appear. Replace A1:A5 with the range of cells you want to concatenate.
  7. Press Enter to see the concatenated result.

    This function will concatenate the values of all the cells in the specified range, regardless of whether they are contiguous or not. You can use this function in other formulas in your workbook, just like any other built-in Excel function.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this UDF (User Defined function). From workbook launch VBE using Alt+F11.
From menu Insert a Module and paste the below function.Close and get back to
workbook and try the below formula.

Syntax:
=CONCATRANGE(rngRange,strDelimiter,blnIgnoreBlank)
rngRange is the Range
strDelimiter Optional . Default is space
blnIgnoreBlank Optional. Default is False

Examples:
'1. Concatenate with default delimiter(space)
=CONCATRANGE(A1:A10)

'2. Concatenate with semicolon as delimiter and ignore blanks
=CONCATRANGE(A1:A10,":",1)

Function CONCATRANGE(rngRange As Range, _
Optional strDelimiter As String = " ", _
Optional blnIgnoreBlank As Boolean = False)
Dim varTemp As Range
For Each varTemp In rngRange
If blnIgnoreBlank Then
If Trim(varTemp) < vbNullString Then _
CONCATRANGE = CONCATRANGE & strDelimiter & varTemp
Else
CONCATRANGE = CONCATRANGE & strDelimiter & varTemp
End If
Next
CONCATRANGE = WorksheetFunction.Trim(Mid(CONCATRANGE, _
len(strDelimiter)+1))
End Function

--
Jacob (MVP - Excel)

"Leporello" wrote:

Does anyone have an elegant way of concatenating a series of cells? I think
the answer will be a user defined function which will be equivalent to
MULTICONCAT(start cell : end cell). I think it needs to be a function rather
than a macro, so that I can include it in formulae elsewhere in the workbook.
I can manage with the limitation of the contents of the cells of a single
row or a single column, but it would be nice to have something which was a
bit more versatile and could handle a two dimensional array or, best of all,
non-contiguous cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Function ConCatRange22(CellBlock As Range, Optional Delim As String = "") _
As String

'entered as =concatrange22(a1:a10,"|") desired delimiter between quotes
'or as =concatrange22((a1:a10,e1,f1,g1:g4)"|") for non-contiguous ranges.

Dim Cell As Range
Dim sbuf As String

For Each Cell In CellBlock.Cells
If Cell.text < "" Then
sbuf = sbuf & Cell.text & Delim
End If
Next Cell

ConCatRange22 = Left(sbuf, Len(sbuf) - Len(Delim))

End Function

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP