Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to calculate portfolio returns over different periods of time

I'm sure many of you have seen the performance numbers published by most
mutual fund companies for their different funds. They usually show MTD
(month to date), YTD (year to date), 1 year, 3 year, and 5 year percentage
returns.

I would like to do the same and have Excel automatically update the return
percentages every time I update my current portfolio balance with the current
date.

This is what I'm tracking in Excel over an extended period of time
Column A - Date
Column B - Amount

So it shows up as:
10/25/2006 30,000
10/24/2006 29,800
10/23/2006 29,550
10/20/2006 28,900
10/19/2006 29,001
10/18/2006 29,450
10/17/2006 29,698
10/16/2006 27,300
etc...and this goes on down for 5 years of data.

I'm having trouble putting together the formula's to calculate the returns.
Some of the complexity relates to there being only 5 days in a week where the
dates/amounts can change due to only 5 work days per week. Also, I presume
for the MTD calculation, that a 30 day window would suffice even though it
isn't exact due to a different amount of days in each month.

I've searched for a template to accomplish this, but none seems available.
Seems like a pretty common task. I can't believe it's not out there. I'd
really appreciate it if someone could help me out.
Thanks, Tim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Question

Hi did any one answer your question? i have a similar problem. Thanks

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What question? Your post is orphaned in my Newsreader. Try asking the
specific question

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

with @tiscali.co.uk

<Kylie Sayer wrote in message ...
Hi did any one answer your question? i have a similar problem. Thanks

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Tim Tim is offline

Kylie,

Yes, it was answered. Do a search on "How to calculate portfolio returns",
and you will find a second thread initiated by me, where someone provides the
answer.

Good luck.

"Kylie Sayer" wrote:

Hi did any one answer your question? i have a similar problem. Thanks

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

How do I calculate time, not time of day? DW-WD Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 October 18th 06 04:05 PM
periods of time Ben New Users to Excel 1 March 5th 06 08:47 PM
How do I write the formula to calculate someones time worked deusy Excel Worksheet Functions 3 November 16th 05 09:49 PM
time sheet to calculate 2 different columns John Sullivan Excel Worksheet Functions 1 October 21st 05 06:48 AM
calculate negative or positve difference in time kpmoore Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 January 5th 05 02:35 AM