liebw

Default missing data points causes my line graph not to connect

Hi there,

I am doing a simple line graph for data points over 200 days, however for
some of the days I do not have data, therefore when I create a graph it where
there is missing data the line does not connect, there should be an easy way
to fix it, but I can't figure it out. I tried to just select the data I want
in the series but it only holds so many and I can't get all the data points
in.

Please help
Jon Peltier

Tools menu Options Chart tab. Choose the interpolation option for
how Excel should treat a blank cell.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

liebw wrote:

Hi there,

I am doing a simple line graph for data points over 200 days, however for
some of the days I do not have data, therefore when I create a graph it where
there is missing data the line does not connect, there should be an easy way
to fix it, but I can't figure it out. I tried to just select the data I want
in the series but it only holds so many and I can't get all the data points
in.

Please help

Jerry W. Lewis

If the cells are empty, then Tools|Options|Chart and check the option to
Interpolate missing values. If the cells contain formulas, then have
them return #N/A for missing values.

Jerry

liebw wrote:

Hi there,

I am doing a simple line graph for data points over 200 days, however for
some of the days I do not have data, therefore when I create a graph it where
there is missing data the line does not connect, there should be an easy way
to fix it, but I can't figure it out. I tried to just select the data I want
in the series but it only holds so many and I can't get all the data points
in.

Please help

z.entropic

I've been using an extremely useful free add-in by Tushar Mehta; you can
download it from
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/so...tinuity/--just replace
missing points with cell values =na()'s.

z.entropic

"liebw" wrote:

Hi there,

I am doing a simple line graph for data points over 200 days, however for
some of the days I do not have data, therefore when I create a graph it where
there is missing data the line does not connect, there should be an easy way
to fix it, but I can't figure it out. I tried to just select the data I want
in the series but it only holds so many and I can't get all the data points
in.

Please help

liebw

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!
I have been working on this stupid thing for so long, I knew there had to be
an easier answer and it was driving me crazy that I couldn't figure it out.
Thanks again

liebw wrote:

Hi there,

I am doing a simple line graph for data points over 200 days, however for
some of the days I do not have data, therefore when I create a graph it where
there is missing data the line does not connect, there should be an easy way
to fix it, but I can't figure it out. I tried to just select the data I want
in the series but it only holds so many and I can't get all the data points
in.

Please help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Found the answer by good ol' trial-and-error...

In Excel 2007:
- Select the plot area of the chart
- Right click and go to "Select Data"
- Click "Hidden and Empty cells" in the bottom left corner of the Select
Data Source box
- For 'Show empty cells as:' select "Connect data points with line"