Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Steve Lewington

Default Excel columns disappearing

Hi everyone, I wonder if I can pick all of your brains.

I have an Excel user who is experiencing problems with Excel 2000 sp3.
When the user highlights the entire worksheet, the column and row names
disappear.
This also affects autofilter, in that she does not know which columns are
being shown.
I have uninstalled office 2000 sp3 and installed all updates from the MS
update site.
I have deleted all of her excel templates and copied new ones from another
computer which works.
I have reset all of the user's Windows colours to default and set all of the
excel colours to default as well.
I have completely removed Office 2000 and removed all entries to Microsoft
from her machine, then installed Office again.
I have also tried updating the mouse driver (as suggested in a discussion
group).
I have deleted all XLB files, but the problem persists.

Any suggestions would be greatfully received.

Many thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Cone

Hello Steve,

Never heard of this problem.
How does she highlight the entire sheet?
Does it happen with all workbooks are just a few or one?
What happens if she goes to... Tools | Options | View (tab) and cycles thru
checking/unchecking "Row & column headers"?
Check the Personal.xls file to see if there is code in there.
Try unchecking all of the add-Ins in... Tools | Add-ins.

And of course...Patient..."It hurts when I do this doctor."
Doctor... "Don't do that."
Actually it is seldom necessary to select the entire worksheet.
Good luck with it.

Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Steve Lewington" <Steve
wrote in message...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Steve Lewington

I have looked at the settings for this user.
The user highlights the entire worksheet by clicking on the box at the top
left of the spreadsheet.
I have tried what you suggest, but it has not helped.
This appears to occure with every spreadsheet, even new ones.
There are no add-ins currently running in Excel, and this has me baffled.

The main problem is the auto-filters. this is causing a major headache as
the user needs to use them for data admin purposes.

Thanks.

wrote in message...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Just a guess...

It kind of sounds like a display problem--maybe getting a new video driver (or
trying a more generic VGA setting would help).

Before you change anything, write down all the settings. You may want to put
them back if it doesn't help.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Steve Lewington

Thanks Dave. I installed latest graphics drivers and it appears to have
sorted out the problem.