KempensBoerke

Default VLookup resulting in a blank cell...

A string is put into cell A1 on Sheet1, for example: “This is a large
sentence and it doesn’t fit in this cell”.

In cell B1 on Sheet1 I put a VLOOKUP-function:
=VLOOKUP("Item1";Sheet2!A1:B1;2)

On Sheet2, I have a little table for Vlookup-purposes. To keep it
simple, I only one row having following data in cells (the
VLOOKUP-function is not my problem):
Cell A1: “Item1”
Cell B1: “text1”

The following is my problem:

If I blank try to blank cell B1 in Sheet2, I will obtain a zero as
result of my VLOOKUP-function. I could put an empty string (“” = two
double brackets) instead of this 0, by using an IF-function or
whatsoever.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO OBTAIN IS THAT CELL B1 ON SHEET1 BECOMES A REAL
BLANK CELL, IF THE VLOOKUP-FUNCTION IN CELL B1 ON SHEET1 RESULTS IN “0”
BECAUSE OF THE EMPTY CELL B1 ON SHEET2. BECAUSE OF THE BLANK CELL B1 ON
SHEET2, THE LARGE SENTENCE FOUND IN CELL A1 ON SHEET1 SHOULD HAVE TO
RUN THROUGH THE CELLS B1, C1, ETC... AND DOESN'T STOP AT THE BEGINNING
OF CELL B1.

This last sentence is my real problem. If you have the solution, I
would be very grateful.
If you have any suggestions concerning this matter, please post it here
and I will try it out. Maybe I could force something with Conditional
Formatting??

Thank you in advance ;)
KempensBoerke.

--
KempensBoerke
KempensBoerke's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6876

Frank Kabel

Hi
you are left with using an IF function or a zero lenght string as a
worksheet function can't returna real blank result

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"KempensBoerke" schrieb im

[...]