Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Auto Filter skips first row

When I select the first row or cell in a column, then go to data / filter /
auto filter, the drop down arrow goes into the second row, and that cell is
not in the list.
For example:

Column A
Model
AB
ABC
ABD

Applying the auto filter has the arrow showing in the cell with "AB" and
that selection is not in the drop down.
This happens no matter where I have the cursor when selecting the auto filter.

Is there a setting I have incorrect?

Thanks
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Auto Filter skips first row

It sounds like the issue you're experiencing is related to the fact that Excel is assuming that your first row is a header row and therefore not including it in the auto filter. This is a common default setting in Excel, but it can be changed if necessary.
  1. Click on the "Data" tab in the ribbon at the top of the Excel window.
  2. Click on the "Filter" button to open the filter options.
  3. Click on the drop-down arrow next to the column you want to filter.
  4. At the bottom of the drop-down list, you should see an option that says "Filter by Selected Cell's Color." Click on this option.
  5. You should now see a checkmark next to "Filter by Selected Cell's Color." This means that Excel will now include the first row in the auto filter.

Alternatively, you can also turn off the default setting that assumes the first row is a header row. To do this, follow these steps:
  1. Click on the "File" tab in the ribbon at the top of the Excel window.
  2. Click on "Options" at the bottom of the left-hand menu.
  3. Click on "Advanced" in the left-hand menu.
  4. Scroll down to the "Display options for this workbook" section.
  5. Uncheck the box next to "Show row and column headers."
  6. Click "OK" to save your changes.

With this setting turned off, Excel will no longer assume that the first row is a header row and will include it in the auto filter.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think excel is trying to help by remembering the last range that was filtered.

Try selecting the entire range you want (all the rows you want and all the
columns you want).

Then use Data|Filter.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just what I need.... more "help" from Excel.

Your solution, however, seems to fix the problem.

Thanks for the quick response.