Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
naflan

Default calculation LOG10 using relationals

How would I go about calculating this:
LOG101.0E+06)-LOG10(<10) ?

excel does not let me use <10 in the calculation.

The answer needs to be 5.0
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
naflan

Correction:
LOG10(1.0E+06)-LOG10(<10)

"naflan" wrote:

How would I go about calculating this:
LOG101.0E+06)-LOG10(<10) ?

excel does not let me use <10 in the calculation.

The answer needs to be 5.0

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Marcelo

try

LOG10(1.0E+06)-LOG10(MAX(10))

Hope it helps, thanks for the feedback
Regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"naflan" escreveu:

Correction:
LOG10(1.0E+06)-LOG10(<10)

"naflan" wrote:

How would I go about calculating this:
LOG101.0E+06)-LOG10(<10) ?

excel does not let me use <10 in the calculation.

The answer needs to be 5.0

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sandy Mann

Marcelo" wrote in message

LOG10(1.0E+06)-LOG10(MAX(10))

Marcelo,

May I ask whay the purpose of the MAX() function is?

=LOG10(1.0E+06)-LOG10(10)

returns 5 as well.

I must confess that I also do not understand the OP's <10 in naflan's
formula.

--
HTH

Sandy

with @tiscali.co.uk

"Marcelo" wrote in message
try

LOG10(1.0E+06)-LOG10(MAX(10))

Hope it helps, thanks for the feedback
Regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"naflan" escreveu:

Correction:
LOG10(1.0E+06)-LOG10(<10)

"naflan" wrote:

How would I go about calculating this:
LOG101.0E+06)-LOG10(<10) ?

excel does not let me use <10 in the calculation.

The answer needs to be 5.0

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Marcelo

Hi Sandy just to subst the "<" sinal...
After my answer I try it on excel and see the same of you..

Regards
Marcelo

"Marcelo" wrote in message
try

LOG10(1.0E+06)-LOG10(MAX(10))

Hope it helps, thanks for the feedback
Regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"naflan" escreveu:

Correction:
LOG10(1.0E+06)-LOG10(<10)

"naflan" wrote:

How would I go about calculating this:
LOG101.0E+06)-LOG10(<10) ?

excel does not let me use <10 in the calculation.

The answer needs to be 5.0

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
naflan

"I must confess that I also do not understand the OP's <10 in naflan's
formula."
Sandy,
In microbiology, if the number of colony forming units (CFU) recovered from
a sample prep. diluted 1:10 is zero, it is reported <10 because of the
dilution factor. So the log reduction should be 5.0

naflan

"Marcelo" wrote in message
try

LOG10(1.0E+06)-LOG10(MAX(10))

Hope it helps, thanks for the feedback
Regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"naflan" escreveu:

Correction:
LOG10(1.0E+06)-LOG10(<10)

"naflan" wrote:

How would I go about calculating this:
LOG101.0E+06)-LOG10(<10) ?

excel does not let me use <10 in the calculation.

The answer needs to be 5.0

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Marcelo

Naflan, thanks for the feedback.