Dani B via OfficeKB.com

Default Excel, when column A and B have same name make column C add up in mail merge

I'm doing a mail merge from Excel to Word, and It worked out fine. I have 3
feilds: Name, Unit, and Deposit. The problem is, I have about 2 to 4
deposits per person on average. I'm trying to write a letter in which only
one letter is written per person, and since I have 2 to 4 deposits per person,
I have 2 to 4 letters per person as well. What I need to figure out is, if I
have the same unit and same name in Excel, is there a way that I can get the
deposit feild to make a sum, for example, if I have 2 deposits for John Doe
from unit 16 of $20 and $15, and the letter reads--- TO: John Doe UNIT: 16
how can I also get it to say DEPOSIT: $35, or is it impossible in which case
I'll be stuck with two letters for John Doe, one for $20 deposit and another
for the $10? Sorry this is so sloppy, but if someone could help me out with
this I would GREATLY appreciate it! Thanks so much.
FASTWRX

This may get you started in doing what you want, but someone else may come up
with a better (more complete) idea. First, start by sorting by the names.
Then select SubTotals from the Data menu. This will do the addition to the
Unit/Deposit field you were looking for. From there, you should be able to
get the subtotaled list you are looking for. My workaround was a little
cumbersome to explain. Good luck..

"Dani B via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

[...]

Michael

Hi Dani. Could you put the name and deposit amounts in separate columns on
the same row and then have a total column? If so, you could do your mail
merge using the name and the total column.
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

[...]

Dani B via OfficeKB.com

The thing is, I'll still have the name showing up 2 or 3 times, since it is
repeated in the name column every time there is another deposit added. I got
the subtotals thing to work from the post above, but I need to find a way
still for the subtotals to go into a whole new column rather than being below
the other numbers, and I also need to find a way for the names that are the
same to only show up in the mail merge once. Thanks for the great
suggestions so far!

Michael wrote:
Hi Dani. Could you put the name and deposit amounts in separate columns on
the same row and then have a total column? If so, you could do your mail
merge using the name and the total column.
I'm doing a mail merge from Excel to Word, and It worked out fine. I have 3
feilds: Name, Unit, and Deposit. The problem is, I have about 2 to 4

[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]
for the $10? Sorry this is so sloppy, but if someone could help me out with
this I would GREATLY appreciate it! Thanks so much.

Michael

Hi Dani B. If you were able to get the subtotals, what you could do next is
collapse the table so that only the names and subtotals are showing. Then
press F5, click on special and select visible cells only. Copy and paste
into a new worksheet and you will have just each name once with the total
deposit. Use this sheet for your mailmerge into word. Before you do,
though, hide all unused columns and rows because they will be selected too
when you copy and you will wind up with a massive file.
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

Michael wrote:
Hi Dani. Could you put the name and deposit amounts in separate columns on
the same row and then have a total column? If so, you could do your mail
merge using the name and the total column.
I'm doing a mail merge from Excel to Word, and It worked out fine. I have 3
feilds: Name, Unit, and Deposit. The problem is, I have about 2 to 4

[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]
for the $10? Sorry this is so sloppy, but if someone could help me out with
this I would GREATLY appreciate it! Thanks so much.

Dani B via OfficeKB.com

Hey Michael - Thanks so much for all the help I really appreciate it! Take
care.

Michael wrote:
Hi Dani B. If you were able to get the subtotals, what you could do next is
collapse the table so that only the names and subtotals are showing. Then
press F5, click on special and select visible cells only. Copy and paste
into a new worksheet and you will have just each name once with the total
deposit. Use this sheet for your mailmerge into word. Before you do,
though, hide all unused columns and rows because they will be selected too
when you copy and you will wind up with a massive file.
The thing is, I'll still have the name showing up 2 or 3 times, since it is
repeated in the name column every time there is another deposit added. I got

[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
for the $10? Sorry this is so sloppy, but if someone could help me out with
this I would GREATLY appreciate it! Thanks so much.

Michael

You're welcome, Dani B. Thanks for the feedback and have a great weekend.
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin