Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Show number in thouands using Formats

HI,

If I have a series of numbers in Cell A1: A10 like 156789 etc

I want to be able to do 2 kinds of operations:-

a) How to set the format, so that number gets displayed as 156.789 or
let' say 157 . I have seen folks using custom formats but not sure how
to set it up in this case.

b) How to set the format in such a way that we may also be see "157
Thousand" for above case. Is it possible using custom formats. (I will
like to do the same thing for 1234567 as "1.2 Million" and so on)

Please guide me.

Regards,
HP
India

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This isn't a formatting problem. The data should be divided by 1000,
THEN you deal with the presentation (such as rounding)!

--
raypayette

raypayette's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29569
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=563634

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Hari" skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...
HI,

If I have a series of numbers in Cell A1: A10 like 156789 etc

I want to be able to do 2 kinds of operations:-

a) How to set the format, so that number gets displayed as 156.789 or
let' say 157 . I have seen folks using custom formats but not sure how
to set it up in this case.

b) How to set the format in such a way that we may also be see "157
Thousand" for above case. Is it possible using custom formats. (I will
like to do the same thing for 1234567 as "1.2 Million" and so on)

Please guide me.

Regards,
HP
India

Hi HP

Apparently you have "." as a thousand separator.
To format as 156.789 use the userdefined format #.#

To format as thousands add a point to the right of the format
#.#. or #.#. "Thousand"

to format as millions add 2 points
#.#.. or #.#.. "Million"

#.#... or #.#... "Billion"

etc. Add one point for each "thousand group"

--
Best regards
Leo Heuser

Followup to newsgroup only please.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This *can* be accomplished with custom formatting:

[<=999999]#.#," Thousand";[999999]#.#,," Million";General

RD
-------------------
-------------------

"raypayette" wrote
in message ...

This isn't a formatting problem. The data should be divided by 1000,
THEN you deal with the presentation (such as rounding)!

--
raypayette

raypayette's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=563634

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Leo,

Thanx a lot. It works

I just wanted to know as to whether it is also possible to express in
"Hundreds" etc.

Regards,
HP
India

Leo Heuser wrote:
"Hari" skrev i en meddelelse
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're very welcome.

RD
-------------------
-------------------

s.com...

RagDyeR wrote:
This *can* be accomplished with custom formatting:

[<=999999]#.#," Thousand";[999999]#.#,," Million";General

RD

-------------------

-------------------

"raypayette"

wrote
in message ...

This isn't a formatting problem. The data should be divided by 1000,
THEN you deal with the presentation (such as rounding)!

--
raypayette

raypayette's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=563634

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Hari" skrev i en meddelelse
ps.com...
Leo,

Thanx a lot. It works

I just wanted to know as to whether it is also possible to express in
"Hundreds" etc.

Regards,
HP
India

Hari

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback :-)

Unfortunately its not possible to express in "Hundreds" etc.
with formatting.

Regards
Leo Heuser