Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
pes pes is offline

Default How to format whole column negative value, Excel

I want to make a whole column negative currency value so that the sum of
A+B=Difference. This is to remove the entries in B from the customers
responsibility.
Or should one just use the formula, =A-B, and format the appearance of the
remainder column?
Am I correct: that Excel does not have a function for DIFFerence or
SUBTraction?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Please clarity this. We want to help, but I for one and confused
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"PES" wrote in message
I want to make a whole column negative currency value so that the sum of
A+B=Difference. This is to remove the entries in B from the customer's
responsibility.
Or should one just use the formula, =A-B, and format the appearance of the
remainder column?
Am I correct: that Excel does not have a function for DIFFerence or
SUBTraction?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Do you mean that you just want the difference between A and B and return that
as a positive number irrespective of whether A or B is the larger value? If
so then you can use the following:-

=ABS(A2-B2)

OssieMac

"PES" wrote:

I want to make a whole column negative currency value so that the sum of
A+B=Difference. This is to remove the entries in B from the customers
responsibility.
Or should one just use the formula, =A-B, and format the appearance of the
remainder column?
Am I correct: that Excel does not have a function for DIFFerence or
SUBTraction?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Apply this formula in Column C1 '=-B1' and copy that to the entire column C

Copy entire Column B. Right Click PasteSpecial--Values to column D.
Delete column B and column C

If this post helps click Yes
--------------
Jacob Skaria

"PES" wrote:

I want to make a whole column negative currency value so that the sum of
A+B=Difference. This is to remove the entries in B from the customers
responsibility.
Or should one just use the formula, =A-B, and format the appearance of the
remainder column?
Am I correct: that Excel does not have a function for DIFFerence or
SUBTraction?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

1. there is no SUBTRACT or DIFFERENCE function in Excel
2. I would use =A1-B1 and coping it down
3. However, you can convert all the entries in column B to negatives as
follows. In a blank cell enter -1. Select that cell and copy it. Then
select the numbers in column B and choose Edit, Paste Special, Multiply.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire