Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Proper function not updating in cells

I've found that the Proper text function sometimes does not update the text
that is the object of the function...it simply leaves "=PROPER(C6)" displayed
in the cells. Could it be the formatting of the original cells, the cells in
which I have placed the function, or is something else going on?

It seems to do this when it pleases...sometimes it works, sometimes it
doesn't.

--
Richard Champlin
Administrative Program Assistant II
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If the original cell (C6) is formatted as Text, then Excel will apply
the same format to the cell with the formula in - just format it as
General.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Sep 19, 3:34 pm, Richard Champlin
wrote:
I've found that the Proper text function sometimes does not update the text
that is the object of the function...it simply leaves "=PROPER(C6)" displayed
in the cells. Could it be the formatting of the original cells, the cells in
which I have placed the function, or is something else going on?

It seems to do this when it pleases...sometimes it works, sometimes it
doesn't.

--
Richard Champlin
Administrative Program Assistant II
Children''''''''s Hospital & Regional Medical Center, Seattle

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There are three reasons a cell would show the formula rather than the result:

1. the cell was formatted as Text prior to the formula being entered
2. the keystrokes CNTRL-` had been touched (this can be toggled)
3. the fomula starts with a single quote (apostrophe)

If 2 were the case, then ALL cells would display formulae rather than results.
if 3 were the case, then you would see the single quote in the formula bar.

Just insure that all cells into which you intend to type formulae have not
been formatted as text.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200745