Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
e57 e57 is offline

Default not able to see tick mark label

I created a custom date-axis in the form N, D, J-YY, F,...
But -YY is not always visible even after I have shrunk the size of the
tick mark label.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Sometimes I've seen the label wrap the text, so that the YY is on the next
line, but for some reason only the first line of the label is visible. I
seem to recall this happening on small charts with small fonts and a large
number of labels.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"e57" wrote in message
I created a custom date-axis in the form N, D, J-YY, F,...
But -YY is not always visible even after I have shrunk the size of the
tick mark label.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
e57 said:
I created a custom date-axis in the form N, D, J-YY, F,...
But -YY is not always visible even after I have shrunk the size of the
tick mark label.

Create a second date column in the worksheet, with the same date and the
format YY, and use both columns to make the date axis. This will
display correctly.

--
Del Cotter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, I said:
e57 said:
I created a custom date-axis in the form N, D, J-YY, F,...
But -YY is not always visible even after I have shrunk the size of the
tick mark label.

Create a second date column in the worksheet, with the same date and
the format YY, and use both columns to make the date axis. This will
display correctly.

Correction: will display correctly in 97. Having just looked at it in
2000, I see that the "improvement" that forces double-columned category
ranges to look like those ugly Pivot Charts, with the combs cluttering
up the space.

So, plan B: go back to one column, format just the months you want with

"mmmmm yy" (space, not hyphen)

leaving the rest at "mmmmm".

Then set Chart Options.. Axes to "Category", and set Format Axis to
"Linked to source", then ensure that the months are packed too tightly
to allow the year to appear in the same line. It will wrap down to the
second line and appear as

08

which is how you want it.

--
Del Cotter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

If I were having trouble with the labels, I'd hide the default labels, then
plot a dummy series along the axis and assign data labels that achieve the
look I need.

- Jon
-------

e57 said:
[...]

NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
,