Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kathy

Default Make typing "jump" to matching item(s) in drop-down list?

Is there any way to make a drop-down list work so that typing causes a "jump"
to a matching item in the list? For example, if the list includes "chair,"
can it be formatted so that typing c-h- brings up "chair" in the drop-down
list?

This would be a huge time-saver in lengthy drop-down lists. We can make
Access do it--can Excel?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

If you show the Control toolbox toolbar (view|Toolbars), you can add a Combobox
from that toolbar.

Rightclick on it and choose properties.

You'll be able to set the linkedcell, listfillrange, style, and matchentry
properties to what you want.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kathy

Dave, thank you for the reply, but it's over my head. I can use the toolbox,
but which of these functions would do what I need?

Kathy wrote:

Is there any way to make a drop-down list work so that typing causes a "jump"
to a matching item in the list? For example, if the list includes "chair,"
can it be formatted so that typing c-h- brings up "chair" in the drop-down
list?

This would be a huge time-saver in lengthy drop-down lists. We can make
Access do it--can Excel?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

If you want to do something with the value in the combobox, I would bet you'd
want the LinkedCell.

If you want to populate the combobox with values from a range in a worksheet,
you'll want the listfillrange.

If you want to limit the user to only chosing what's in the dropdown, you'll
want the Style.

And if you want that matching capability, you'll want the matchentry, too.

So I'm gonna say you'll want at least these four.

Try messing around with on in a test worksheet (in a test workbook).

You'll see how to work them thingies in just a little bit of time.

Kathy wrote:

Is there any way to make a drop-down list work so that typing causes a "jump"
to a matching item in the list? For example, if the list includes "chair,"
can it be formatted so that typing c-h- brings up "chair" in the drop-down
list?

This would be a huge time-saver in lengthy drop-down lists. We can make
Access do it--can Excel?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Kathy

Debra Dalgleish has done the work for you.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP