Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
WCM WCM is offline

Default Excel / Sql Server / Pivot Tables

I can connect a Sql Server stored proc to an Excel 2003 pivot table via an
ODBC File DSN, and the pivot table will refresh for anyone in our company who
has it, so long as they reside inside our LAN, or they have VPN access to our
LAN.

Question: Is there a way to connect an Excel pivot table to a Sql Server
stored proc (as above), but via a Web Server, so that I can send that .xls
file to someone outside our LAN, and that user will still be able to refresh
the pivot table from his local machine (as long as he has an internet
connection)?

Thanks in advance ...

Bill
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The answer is yes. The files name can be a pathname, a networkname or a web
name

All these are exquivalent

FName = "c:\temp\MyDir"
FName = "\\InternalAddress\MyDir"
FName = "Http:\\URLName\MyDir"

"WCM" wrote:

I can connect a Sql Server stored proc to an Excel 2003 pivot table via an
ODBC File DSN, and the pivot table will refresh for anyone in our company who
has it, so long as they reside inside our LAN, or they have VPN access to our
LAN.

Question: Is there a way to connect an Excel pivot table to a Sql Server
stored proc (as above), but via a Web Server, so that I can send that .xls
file to someone outside our LAN, and that user will still be able to refresh
the pivot table from his local machine (as long as he has an internet
connection)?

Thanks in advance ...

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
WCM WCM is offline

Thank you, Joel - am working to set up some tests. We have found no better
way to present most financial/operations data than Excel pivot tables - fast,
inexpensive, user-friendly, and information-rich. If we can implement
refreshable pivots over the web, we have the only solution we need (and would
be hard pressed to think of a better one, regardless of cost).