sdmccabe

Default Sort a numeric field

I want to sort the following in "true value" as opposed to the order that is
provided below. My import document provides this format. Maybe not the best
explanation, but can you help?

Thanks as always -

1000
10000
2000
3000
35000
4000
45000
5000

Ron Rosenfeld

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 09:16:02 -0700, "sdmccabe"
wrote:

I want to sort the following in "true value" as opposed to the order that is
provided below. My import document provides this format. Maybe not the best
explanation, but can you help?

Thanks as always -

1000
10000
2000
3000
35000
4000
45000
5000

When I paste your date in (even as text), and then select the Sort button, I
get:

1000
2000
3000
4000
5000
10000
35000
45000

Is this not what you want when you say "true value"; or are you getting a
different result?

If you want the latter, but are not getting it, it is because your Sort is
treating the data as text and not as numbers. In later versions of Excel, if
you select Data/Sort, there should be an option to treat the data that looks
like numbers, as numbers rather than as text.

If this is data you have copied from an HTML document, there may be
non-printing characters in there that will have to be removed.

So please post back with more information.

--ron
Norman Jones

Hi SD,

Try:

Select empty cell
Edit | Copy
Select the imported numerics
Edit | PasteSpecial | select the 'Add' option
OK

Now sort your data.

---
Regards,
Norman

"sdmccabe" wrote in message
I want to sort the following in "true value" as opposed to the order that
is
provided below. My import document provides this format. Maybe not the
best
explanation, but can you help?

Thanks as always -

1000
10000
2000
3000
35000
4000
45000
5000

Jan Karel Pieterse

Hi Norman,

Select empty cell

Dat is een onzignlirehf lexfe

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
http://www.jkp-ads.com

Norman Jones

Hallo Jan Karel!

Select empty cell

Dat is een onzignlirehf lexfe

I (manifestly) cannot speak English so: Dank u!

---
Regards,
Norman

Jan Karel Pieterse

Hi Norman,

I (manifestly) cannot speak English so: Dank u!

I knew you'd respond.
Sorry about the bogus message, I showed a student how to get into the
newsgroups using Virtual Access and forgot to remove the message from
my outbox <g.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP