Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Secondary Axis not crossing at zero

I have a chart with a primary and secondary axis.

Values for the primary axis range from 0 to 260, values for the secondary
axis range from -50% to 50%.

I would like to have the zeros on both axis line up, so that the negative
percentages on the secondary axis are clearly identifiable. I can't find a
way to do it.

In the default chart, the x axis crosses the primary y-axis at 0, but the 0
on the secondary y-axis is at approximately the same height as the value 50
on the primary axis.

Please help!
Astrid
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Secondary Axis not crossing at zero

Hi Astrid,

To align the zeros on both the primary and secondary axis, you can follow these steps:
  1. Select the chart and click on the secondary axis to select it.
  2. Right-click on the secondary axis and select "Format Axis" from the drop-down menu.
  3. In the Format Axis pane, under "Axis Options", change the "Minimum" value to -50% (or the minimum value of your data, whichever is lower).
  4. Under "Axis Position", select "On Tick Marks".
  5. Close the Format Axis pane.
  6. Right-click on the secondary axis again and select "Format Axis" from the drop-down menu.
  7. In the Format Axis pane, under "Axis Options", change the "Maximum" value to 50% (or the maximum value of your data, whichever is higher).
  8. Close the Format Axis pane.

Now, the zeros on both the primary and secondary axis should be aligned. If you need to adjust the position of the secondary axis, you can click and drag it to the desired location.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Right-click on an axis. Format Axis/ Scale. Alter the min and max values
to suit your requirements. Can also set the value at which the X-axis
crosses.
--
David Biddulph

"TC2004" wrote in message
I have a chart with a primary and secondary axis.

Values for the primary axis range from 0 to 260, values for the secondary
axis range from -50% to 50%.

I would like to have the zeros on both axis line up, so that the negative
percentages on the secondary axis are clearly identifiable. I can't find
way to do it.

In the default chart, the x axis crosses the primary y-axis at 0, but the
0
on the secondary y-axis is at approximately the same height as the value
50
on the primary axis.

Please help!
Astrid

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I did try that and those boxes are checked (axis crosses at 0), but the zero
on the primary and secondary y-axis don't line up.

I did manipulate the minimum and maxiumum values and got the zeros to line
up, but now the bars in the bar chart associated with the primary y-axis
actually start below the 0 even though all the values are greater than 0.

"TC2004" wrote in message
I have a chart with a primary and secondary axis.

Values for the primary axis range from 0 to 260, values for the secondary
axis range from -50% to 50%.

I would like to have the zeros on both axis line up, so that the negative
percentages on the secondary axis are clearly identifiable. I can't find
way to do it.

In the default chart, the x axis crosses the primary y-axis at 0, but the
0
on the secondary y-axis is at approximately the same height as the value
50
on the primary axis.

Please help!
Astrid

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

With a little work, the proportional axes calculations shown in the links
below can be modified to allow the zeros to line up. Unfortunately I've not
yet built the zero value axis cross into the example yet but hope to soon.
Hope this might help.

http://www.cellmatrix.net/index.php/site/analysis/25/

http://www.cellmatrix.net/index.php/site/analysis/14/

--
John Mansfield
http://cellmatrix.net

"TC2004" wrote in message
I have a chart with a primary and secondary axis.

Values for the primary axis range from 0 to 260, values for the secondary
axis range from -50% to 50%.

I would like to have the zeros on both axis line up, so that the negative
percentages on the secondary axis are clearly identifiable. I can't find
way to do it.

In the default chart, the x axis crosses the primary y-axis at 0, but the
0
on the secondary y-axis is at approximately the same height as the value
50
on the primary axis.

Please help!
Astrid