Steve DeBruin

Default Rank based on criteria

How can I get excel to not only do a ranking using the sales of all the
employees, but also a rank by region as well? The real spreadsheet is much
larger and would take a lot of time to rank by hand. I would like to have a
formula do this, not sorting the list and then filling down. Thanks.

Steve

Roger Govier

Hi Steve

I would head column E as Regions, with North, East, South, West in cells
E2:E5
In cell F2 enter
=SUMPRODUCT(--($C$2:$C$13=E2),$B$2:$B$13) and copy down through cells F3:F5
In cell G2 enter
=RANK(F2,$F$2:$F$5) and copy down through G3:G5

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Steve DeBruin" wrote in message
How can I get excel to not only do a ranking using the sales of all the
employees, but also a rank by region as well? The real spreadsheet is
much
larger and would take a lot of time to rank by hand. I would like to have
formula do this, not sorting the list and then filling down. Thanks.

Steve

Bob Phillips

Steve,

Try this

=MATCH(B2,LARGE(IF($C$2:$C$13=C2,$B$2:$B$13),ROW(I NDIRECT("1:"&COUNTIF($C$2:
$C$13,C2)))),0)

it is an array formula, so commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter

--

HTH

RP

"Steve DeBruin" wrote in message
How can I get excel to not only do a ranking using the sales of all the
employees, but also a rank by region as well? The real spreadsheet is

much
larger and would take a lot of time to rank by hand. I would like to have

formula do this, not sorting the list and then filling down. Thanks.

Steve

Bob Phillips

What? Steve DeBruin is Steved? No greetings from Steved? :-(

You're going to kick yourself man, it is so obvious (when you see it that
is)

=MATCH(B2,SMALL(IF($C$2:$C$13=C2,$B$2:$B$13),ROW(I NDIRECT("1:"&COUNTIF($C$2:
$C$13,C2)))),0)

again an array formula

--

HTH

RP

"Steve D" wrote in message
That worked great Bob, thanks a lot. One more question. How would you do

reverse rank? So that the lowest sales amount would be ranked #1 and so

on.