den4673

Default Pivot Table Creating New Columns that Subtract Two Existing Columns

I have a pivot table that has rows for account numbers and columns that
represent months. The data section has the year to date amount for
each account number. Is there a way to create a new column that
subtracts one months year to date value from the previous month year to
date value in order to come up with the monthly value? Also, is it
possible to have this only apply to certain rows? For instance, the
balance sheet accounts are year to date amounts but income statement
accounts are monthly amounts.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

tjtjjtjt

One way:
Click on one of your months.
Then, go to PivotTable | Formulas | Calculated Item.
Give the formula a name. Then, from the Fields list, select the appropriate
Field.
To subtract the months, from the Items list, add the month you want to
subtract from, then put the minus sign, then add the month you want to
subtract.
an example would look something like this:
=Feb-Jan

You would have to do this for each set of months you want to perform the
calculation for. Also, you would have to drag the column to the place you
want it to appear, if you don't want Excel to simply put the calculation as
an extra column at the far right of your PivotTable.

tj

"den4673" wrote:

I have a pivot table that has rows for account numbers and columns that
represent months. The data section has the year to date amount for
each account number. Is there a way to create a new column that
subtracts one months year to date value from the previous month year to
date value in order to come up with the monthly value? Also, is it
possible to have this only apply to certain rows? For instance, the
balance sheet accounts are year to date amounts but income statement
accounts are monthly amounts.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

den4673

Thanks for the help, that helps me solve my problem. It took me a
while to figure out how to drag the column but I figured it out. Until
you mentioned it I didn't know that could be done.

tjtjjtjt

Thank you for the feedback.

tj