Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default The size chestnut.

Hello,

I know this is an old chestnut of a question, but please read on.

I have been working all day on file that was 1.3Mb in size.

I then made a few minor changes to Header / Footer and copied one cell
to 15 other locations.

I then saved the file, and the size is now 3.5Mb.

My question is .... "What the hell happened!" I only made minor
changes and the file is now more than twice its original size.

I'm not interested in removing the extra Mb as thankfully I have a
backup that I can revert to, I just want to know where the extra Mb
came from, where is it in my file, and what is it?

(The file is the Excel Function Dictionary that I have been giving
away for years. The original one was bloated in size, so I cut out the
sheets that contained the bloat and then rebuilt them from scratch. I
hoped that this smaller version would be better for people to use, and
that I could actually update it and fit some more example sheets in.)

The workbook has:
180 Worksheets
3000 Functions
No VBA
No Links
No Data Import Queries
No Graphic images
No Hyperlinks created with Insert/Hyperlink. (All use the =HYPERLINK
function)
No Hidden sheets

File is being saved as Excel 2003
AutoRecover is On every 5 mins.
Always Create Backup is On.

Software
Windows XP Sp3
Excel 2003 (11.8237.8221)

Thanks,

Peter.

==============================
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'ts probably not this...

But if you hit ctrl-end on each sheet, you go to what you think is the last used
cell--it's not way past what you think, right?

Visit Debra Dalgleish's site for some techniques to reset that used cell.
http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused

ps. I've shared your dictionary with lots of people. They all find it very
helpful.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

PeterNoneleywrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson- Hide quoted text -

Dave,

You're right.... it is not the old 'Last used cell' problem.

I'm just amazed that the size increase still happens.

I thought my file was large due to the amount of images and hyperlinks
I had in the file, but having removed them I was confused as to why
the size was going up!

For now I'm not bothered about the problem, I just keep checking the
faile size, and if it bloats I revert to the previous unbloated
version.

I will keep working on the file over the next week or so and put up
the slim line version soon. I'm trying to make it usable on other
systems such as OpenOffice, hence the need to get rid of stuff that
OpenOffice does not convert very well.

Thanks for the support.

Peter