Jerri

Default Negative numbers turn positive automatically on data entry

When I try to enter a negative number into excel, the number turns positive
as soon as I enter it. I have tried deleting book1.xlt to remove any bogus
formatting but this problem appears to be some sort of default setting that I
do not know about.
Dave Peterson

After the number turns positive, what do you see in the formula bar for that
cell?

If it still shows negative there, then maybe it's just a formatting problem.

Format|cells|number tab|make it general.

If it really shows positive, then it sounds like you may have a macro that's
helping out.

Can you reopen your workbook with macros disabled and see what happens?

--

Dave Peterson
Jerri

Thanks for responding Dave !

+1 appears in the formula bar. Here is the sequence of events...

I open a new blank workbook.
I select cell A1
I hit the negative key -
I hit the number one 1
The number changes to a positive one +1
and then reads as 1
It is as if excel will not accept negative numbers or it is converting - to
positive as if i were using the abs function...but i am not. I use excel for
office 97 at work all day long and I have not seen this before. This is my
mother's computer and she is running Excel 2002. I tried holding down the
shift key when starting excel to prevent Macros from running but that did not
work. I have looked at conditional formatting, deleting all default templates
and the absolute function but none of these seem to be the problem. I may
just re-install Office to see if that does the trick. Please respond !

I tried

Jerri wrote:

When I try to enter a negative number into excel, the number turns positive
as soon as I enter it. I have tried deleting book1.xlt to remove any bogus
formatting but this problem appears to be some sort of default setting that I
do not know about.

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Maybe it's a autocorrect entry.
tools|autocorrect options
look for - to see if it's replaced with anything/nothing

(or even look for -1)

===
If that's not it, take a look under your windows regional settings (under
control panel). Then Number tab.

Does everything look normal there?

Jerri wrote:

When I try to enter a negative number into excel, the number turns positive
as soon as I enter it. I have tried deleting book1.xlt to remove any bogus
formatting but this problem appears to be some sort of default setting that I
do not know about.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Jerri

DAVE PETERSON IS THE MAN !

Autocorrect turned out to be the culprit. I have never used it before but
boy, I sure know about it now. Thanks Dave !