Cal Bears Go

Default Help Finding Autosaved Document

I'm running Office 2003 on XP professional, post SP2. Last night, while I
had numerous documents open, a little microsoft icon said there were updates
available. I downloaded the documents, and was then told it was necessary to
reboot my machine, and I was asked if I wanted to do so now or later. I said
later, and went to bed. When I woke up, my machine had rebooted. None of my
documents were saved. I was able to find the temporary versions of my Word
documents, but I absolutely cannot find any of the Excel documents, and I've
looked in the regular places. Any suggestions on how to find them??? I lost
10 days of irreplacible work.
--
David Michael
Dave Peterson

First, autosave was dropped in xl2002 (unless you copied autosave from an older
version of excel).

xl2002+ has a feature called AutoRecovery.

It should catch any excel crashes or windows crashes. If it does, then the next
time you open excel, it sees those autorecovery files hanging around and will
prompt you to do something (kill them or open them).

If you didn't get prompted, my bet is autorecovery wasn't running. (I don't
think I've ever seen it fail.)

For me (xl2002 and win98), my autorecovery files are in:

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

They have some weird name:
~ar44BF.xar
(always ends with .xar, though)

But if excel closes ok, then these files are deleted.

=======
But I am confused. How could you lose 10 days of work. Your last saved file(s)
should still right where you left them.

Cal Bears Go wrote:

I'm running Office 2003 on XP professional, post SP2. Last night, while I
had numerous documents open, a little microsoft icon said there were updates
available. I downloaded the documents, and was then told it was necessary to
reboot my machine, and I was asked if I wanted to do so now or later. I said
later, and went to bed. When I woke up, my machine had rebooted. None of my
documents were saved. I was able to find the temporary versions of my Word
documents, but I absolutely cannot find any of the Excel documents, and I've
looked in the regular places. Any suggestions on how to find them??? I lost
10 days of irreplacible work.
--
David Michael

--

Dave Peterson
Cal Bears Go

Hi, and thanks for your response. I did mean to save autorecovery, but I
can't find the file anywhere. I hadn't turned the computer off in ten days,
and had not pressed "save". When the machine turned itself off, it must have
closed Excel, because I was not prompted when I restarted Excel with the
temporary file names. I'm absolutely stumped as to how something like this
happened. Yes, I should have pressed save, but the update still should not
shut the machine down. I'm now recreating my work, which is going to set me
back a week.