Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Excel novice

Default Multiple IFs prior to Count function

I am trying to create a formula that will identify how many instances (rows)
there are, where within each row it much contain three varibles.

volvo V70 black
ford mondeo blue
volvo v50 black
ford mondeo black
volvo v70 black
etc

So table I would like to create will tell me :
How many Volvo V70s in black there are e.g. 2
How many Ford mondeo's in Blue e.g. 1
etc

Your assistance will be very much appreciated.

Martin.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can use an array formula, BUT you might like to look at Pivot
Tables first as these could possibly give you a quicker solution

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

Create a results table in another sheet like so

blank Black Blue etc.
Volvo V70
Ford Mondeo
etc.

then in B2 add

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$100=$A2),--(Sheet1!$B$1:$B$100=B$1))

and copoy down and across

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Excel novice" wrote in message
I am trying to create a formula that will identify how many instances

(rows)
there are, where within each row it much contain three varibles.

volvo V70 black
ford mondeo blue
volvo v50 black
ford mondeo black
volvo v70 black
etc

So table I would like to create will tell me :
How many Volvo V70s in black there are e.g. 2
How many Ford mondeo's in Blue e.g. 1
etc

Your assistance will be very much appreciated.

Martin.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Excel novice

Aidan,
Thanks for your reply. I haven't used pivot tables before so I will check
the help file.
Cheers, Martin.