Default How to sort/update large excel db

confused,

i know your project is probably over by now but i came across your post
today and had to reply. i too suffer from "data slip" and you are the first
person to talk about. i am wondering if you have had any luck resolving the
problem. i understand select all needs to be done before sorting and i am
assuming you do this as well.

i have a similar spreadsheet in terms of size but mine deals with projects
and milestones so there are lots of dates on a single row. i began to find
dates that were way out of place. soon i began testing. i would enter a date
in a cell, save the ss, close, reopen, and the data was in a different cell.
with mine it didn't just slip to empty cells. i suspect your data copied over
other data also but it was harder to spot. my ss is shared by multiple users.
i have also noticed that the change history will not record changes correctly
(i.e. a cell which has not been changed will show a change made to it while
the cell whose data was changed does not show a change). the only way i can
resolve the problem is to unshare the ss, fix the cells and then reshare it.
this has really become a problem.

none of the techs i have spoken with have been able to recreate the problem.
the latest suggesting i have been given is to make sure all versions of excel
which edit the ss have been fully updated. like you i sort and filter the ss
all the time.

as a side note, i too am a novice compared to the average person answering
posts on this site but i had a few thoughts about your project if it could
still help. first, don't sort while the ss is filtered, this will hang your
computer forever - sort first then filter. second, this is a low tech
solution for comparing a ss without having a unique key column - what about
creating one ss which at least has all the last names filled in and make
another which has at least the zip and so on. compare each to another ss
which has been prepared the same way. when finished merge them back together.
i'm not sure it that makes any sense but maybe it will help.

anyway, anything you can share about "data slip" would be appreciated. thanks,

scott

"ConfusedNovice" wrote:

Thanks, Dave. This thread is getting unwieldy, but I
*think* I understand what you're advising.

Sticking with the issues at hand, yes, the records are all
one per row. Last Name is probably the best key, but there
are some records with only a Company Name, & a few with
only an email name. I have been using Last Name & Zip
Codes to try & match things up.

I discovered that when sorting some of the intermediate db
versions by "new" entries, those newest entries were
mostly correct. I am thinking of isolating these records &
copy/pasting them on to the oldest db version. The idea is
to try for a cleaner sheet to compare to the current one.
Maybe it would be better not to merge these? It's crunch
time - I will try your formulae on a test file today.

And moving ahead: If I can execute the comparisons you
suggest, and if I can achieve a cleaner list, then what's
the best way to prevent data from slipping into the empty
cells in the future? Should I make a new index column,
number each record, and append & number all new records?
Can people safely sort & filter the data? What if they
update a record in a filtered list & then re-sort? Or
Find/Replace & then re-sort? I still don't understand how
some of the data slipped out of one record & into another.
Until I do understand, I'm afraid it will continue to
happen & all this work will be for nothing.

Thanks again! It's an ugly way to learn Excel.

Jane