JRM

Default Database or list range is not valid

I'm exporting a rather simple table to Excel and when I attempt to use an
Excel form against the imported spreadsheet (from the menu, Data | Form), I
receive the error "Database or list range is not valid."

I cannot figure out what changes to make to make it "valid". I compare the
characteristics of the imported spreadsheet to other sheets in the workbook
that do work with the form but cannot figure out what is wrong.

The table has not strange columns like binaries and is only 40 or 50 rows
deep, has column headers, is only 16 columns wide.

Regards,

James Mireles,
Houston, TX
Debra Dalgleish

Is there a range named "Database" (to see, choose InsertNameDefine)?
If so, perhaps it's broken, and the Data Form can't open correctly.

Try deleting the name, to see if that prevents the error from occurring.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

JRM

Thanks Debra,

I did try just that with no success.

I found a "solution" of sorts.

When the table is exported into Excel it comes in as a worksheet where the
columns are of equal size. Resizing the columns "fixed" whatever was broken
that kept Excel from recognizing the worksheet as a table. That's all I had
to do: Select all columns and double-click a column divider to autosize their
column widths to fit contents.

Presto. The Data | Form feature works.

The Excel BOL does say that Excel needs to be able to recognize a row of
header and a row of data. Apparently Excel was unable to recognize the table
until the columns were adjusted.

I'll probably modify my export VBA to run the AutoFit method on the
newly-imported worksheet so I don't have to re-open the spreadsheet and do
that manually. (When exported the worksheet's contents are given a range name
identical to the worksheet name.)

Thanks.

Regards,

James Mireles