Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How can I write multidimensional arrays in Excel Formulas?

I read in the documentation. That multidimensional arrays should look
something like that ={1,2,3;4,5,6;7,8,9}, but my Excel regards that as an
error. The program allows me only to type that: = {1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9}. I have
also noticed that in the Excel documentation that function parameters are
delimited by comma like that:
=if(true(),1,0), but again Excel tells me that this is an error. When I
write it with semicolon like if(true();1;0) it is working. Can you explain me
what is happening?

P.S. I am using MS Excel 2003 (11.6560.6568) SP2
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You have a continental language setup, where the ; and , are inter-changed.
Just switch them around (oh, it probably means that . is the thousands
separator and , is the decimal separator for you).

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Vasil Ivanov" <Vasil wrote in message
I read in the documentation. That multidimensional arrays should look
something like that ={1,2,3;4,5,6;7,8,9}, but my Excel regards that as an
error. The program allows me only to type that: = {1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9}. I

have
also noticed that in the Excel documentation that function parameters are
delimited by comma like that:
=if(true(),1,0), but again Excel tells me that this is an error. When I
write it with semicolon like if(true();1;0) it is working. Can you explain

me
what is happening?

P.S. I am using MS Excel 2003 (11.6560.6568) SP2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Vasil

It is a function of Regional Settings for your computer in your locale.
For me with English (United Kingdom) settings, if I go to Customise and
look at List separator, I see a comma ","
If I switch setting to German, for example, then I see the semicolon ";"
as a separator.

Excel will use whatever is the correct setting for your locale.

--
Regards

Roger Govier