Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default fill a cell based on another cell

I'm trying to use the "IF" function.
I can't use the VLOOKUP, it won't work here.

Here's what I have:

Cell A4=DL or IL
Here's the forumla I'm trying to use:
In cell b3 "=IF(A4=DL,DL1,IL1)", then I tried =IF(A4=DL,"DL1","IL1") then
finally I tried =IF((A4=DL),"DL1","IL1")
Which if I undertstand correctly would fill in Cell B3 with a DL1 if DL is
entered into cell A4 else IL1 defaults.
However, in attempting this I get: #VALUE! regardless of which "formula" I
tried to use.

I don't see how I can use VLOOKUP because:
I need to distinguish my cells first.
Here's my table:

IL IL1 0001-employee benefit1
IL IL2 0002-employee benefit2
IL IL3 0003-employee benefit3
etc,
etc,
etc,
etc.

If I select IL in cell A4 and I attempt to use VLOOKUP I would need IL in
the first column of my table. However, if I have 6 rows I want to fill based
on my selection in Cell A4, IL in the first column would results in the first
finding of IL and all 6 rows would fill with the first row's findings.

Help!!??
Please!!??

Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

[...]