Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Testing

Sorry for doing this here, but I have to see if I can post into this
newsgroup... two of my posted answers in the thread with the subject "Need
Help with Alpha into Numeric expressions (not ASCII/ANSI/Etc." are not
showing up in my newsreader or the online Microsoft forum for this newsgroup
as far as I can tell... so I wanted to see if I have any access at the
current time or not.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

see this in nntp. don't see the ones you don't see, either.

--

Gary Keramidas
Excel 2003

"Rick Rothstein" wrote in message
Sorry for doing this here, but I have to see if I can post into this
newsgroup... two of my posted answers in the thread with the subject "Need
Help with Alpha into Numeric expressions (not ASCII/ANSI/Etc." are not showing
up in my newsreader or the online Microsoft forum for this newsgroup as far as
I can tell... so I wanted to see if I have any access at the current time or
not.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't see your previous replies either, but this one shows up...
that was my thread you were replying too, so if your answer is different
than the other 2 replies, shoot me an email to my public address, karto2k
yahoo com

thanks
Rod

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

Sorry for doing this here, but I have to see if I can post into this
newsgroup... two of my posted answers in the thread with the subject "Need
Help with Alpha into Numeric expressions (not ASCII/ANSI/Etc." are not
showing up in my newsreader or the online Microsoft forum for this newsgroup
as far as I can tell... so I wanted to see if I have any access at the
current time or not.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Rick, I had a similar experience yesterday. In one particular thread, one
response of mine (a previous day) appeared, as did a test response, but one
particular response did not appear when I used the MSNews server. I tried
several times in a period about 24 hours; none appears even today. But the
exact same response (copy and paste) did appear on the Google Groups and MS
Discussion Groups servers when I posted it through each server. (They still
not appear on the MSNews server).

In m.p.test.here, I discovered that I could post the text of that response
as both a new message and a response using the MSNews server, and the text
of the response appeared on the MSNews server when I posted a new message
using Google Groups. (I could not get to m.p.test.here using the MSDG
server.) But if I tried to post a response to the GG message using the
MSNews server, it did not appear on any of the MSNews, GG or MSDG servers,
suggesting that the MSNews server dropped the message.

My first thought was: the problem was due to a very long line that I had in
the text. But the response to the GG message continued to fail to appear
even if I broke up the line manually.

My suspicion is: the MSNews server is dropping some responses (only to GG
messages?!) if they have a certain form (TBD). That does not make much
sense to me. But it is the only explanation that I have so far that fits
all of the facts.

Sorry for doing this here, but I have to see if I can post into this
newsgroup... two of my posted answers in the thread with the subject "Need
Help with Alpha into Numeric expressions (not ASCII/ANSI/Etc." are not
showing up in my newsreader or the online Microsoft forum for this
newsgroup as far as I can tell... so I wanted to see if I have any access
at the current time or not.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm at a complete loss because a response to my own Testing message failed
to be posted. I'm only guessing that this one will get through. I'm using
Windows Mail (Vista's equivalent to Outlook Express in earlier versions of
Windows).

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Joe User" <joeu2004 wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:
I'm at a complete loss because a response to my own Testing
message failed to be posted.

..... Using the same text that had failed previously and prompted you to post
this test thread?

My only means of posting to and reading from the MSNews server is Outlook
Express. So I cannot distinguish which one might be at fault.

I just did a network trace and confirmed that OE does indeed transmit the
"offending" message.

I was about to say more, but something very strange just happened. Clearly
I need to investigate further, trying to differentiate between MSNews
behavior and OE behavior and/or usage.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I experience this behavior every now and then. Most recently, about a week
ago.

I send a reply but it doesn't show up, not even in OE. The thread will be
marked that I replied to it but my reply never shows up *anywhere*. Not in
OE, not in Google Groups, not in the MS website.

Oh well!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Rick Rothstein" wrote in message
Sorry for doing this here, but I have to see if I can post into this
newsgroup... two of my posted answers in the thread with the subject "Need
Help with Alpha into Numeric expressions (not ASCII/ANSI/Etc." are not
showing up in my newsreader or the online Microsoft forum for this
newsgroup as far as I can tell... so I wanted to see if I have any access
at the current time or not.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yep, that is the problem... Windows Mail (like your OE) marked the message
as being replied to, but the reply appears not to ever make it to the server
for posting. Strange that this also happened in this thread... I sent a
follow up message to it and it never got displayed, yet other messages I
posted to this thread are showing up. Strange.... and frustrating as I think
readers of the original thread would have found my solution interesting.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"T. Valko" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Okay, this is interesting... I just tried to post the code in a response to
you and it never appeared in this subthread... it appears there is something
in the code, or my surrounding text around it, that is being blocked
somewhere within the trip between my computer and Microsoft's server.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"T. Valko" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Biff... If you are interested in seeing my solution (I think you might be)
and would be willing to try posting it for me back to the original thread so
others can see it, please write to me (remove the NO.SPAM stuff from my
email address) and I will send it to you directly (your biffinpitt address
appears not to be real).

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"T. Valko" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

i'm using windows mail, too, but not in vista, in windows 7. i use outlook for
email since windows mail is no longer included in win7. i hate windows live
anything. but, copying windows mail files to win7 works fine for me and has for
the year i've been using win7.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm going to be moving over to Win7 pretty soon... what do you use for your
newsreader (Outlook can't do newsgroups, right)? I'm assuming I'll get stuck
using Windows Live Mail because my wife needs a really simple interface and
is used to WinMail (and Outlook Express before that) and I presume Windows
Live Mail's interface is pretty much the same as WinMail's interface.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Gary Keramidas" <GKeramidasAtMSN.com wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

i'm using windows mail from vista. i copied the folder structure from my vista
install. you can make some reg changes to make it work correctly with the email
side, but since i just use it for newsgroups, i just copy the folder.

when you're ready, let me know and i can tell you exactly what to do, if you
want to continue to use winmail in windows 7.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

OK, just sent you an email.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"T. Valko" wrote in message
[...]

Testing Jay T. Emory[_2_] Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 February 18th 09 09:55 PM
TESTING Eamon Excel Worksheet Functions 0 July 11th 08 03:41 PM
Testing Richard Wrigley Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 November 1st 06 10:45 PM
testing Mitchina New Users to Excel 2 June 21st 05 04:35 PM
Testing Tony Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 June 4th 05 05:39 PM