Lindy

Default Why does Excel in XP create new files?

Excel adds duplicate files - Assist Log (2).xle, asssits Log (3).xls. Why?
Can I make this stop. It appears all the files are identical - so if I just
delete the extra files will I be losing any data?

hi,
I think this is something new in xl relating to thier file
recovery during a GPF shutdown. but i keep getting it even
without a GPF. when i save, excel will just up and ask me
which file i want to save leaveing me sitting there
asking "what do you mean which file. i only have one."
it's getting anoying.

Excel adds duplicate files - Assist Log (2).xle, asssits

Log (3).xls. Why?
Can I make this stop. It appears all the files are

identical - so if I just
delete the extra files will I be losing any data?
.

Bill Martin

hi,
I think this is something new in xl relating to thier file
recovery during a GPF shutdown. but i keep getting it even
without a GPF. when i save, excel will just up and ask me
which file i want to save leaveing me sitting there
asking "what do you mean which file. i only have one."
it's getting anoying.

I don't know what the answer is, but I don't see this problem using Excel97
under XP-Home.

Good luck...

Bill -- (Remove KILLSPAM from my address to use it)
Dave Peterson

I see file names like:

~ar2F5C.xar

in my XLStart folder for the autorecovery files.

I was gonna guess that maybe there's a macro running in the background that's
doing some automatic saves for you (as new names).

To the original poster: If you start excel in safe mode (disabling macros), do
the files still get created?

close excel
windows start button|Run
excel /safe
file|open your workbook

======

My second guess (way out there!).

What antivirus program do you use? I've never seen anything like with
Norton/McAfee/AVG behave this way--but maybe other AV programs do this.

--

Dave Peterson