Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Sam Sam is offline

Default Is this possible in excel?

I have an excel sheet that I update and want others to view it only(view
permissions only).

My Question is:

Can myself and other person edit the sheet at the same time?

Can I assign certain certain rows, columns only that someone can
edit(insert, update data)?

Can I make certain fields(columns/rows) mandatory while editing.
For eg, If I have a sheet with columns Name, City, St, Address, Zip
Can I make data in Zip column mandatory? (it has to be
populated)?

Thanks in Advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Your frst question, yes you can share the workbook.
As far as the zip codes are concerned, these are normally tied to eg
cities/suburbs.
You should therefore rather use a formula to look up the zip code, based on
the address inserted? If you do that, not only will it be inserted, but it
will also be inserted correctly

You will need a zip code list, where you have a list of cities/suburbs/post
offices, or however zip codes are allocated in your country, with the
appropriate zip codes next to each. This list must be sorted alphabetically.
In the zip code column, you would then use a VLOOKUP formula to get the
correct zip codes.
--
HTH

Kassie

Replace xxx with hotmail

"sam" wrote:

I have an excel sheet that I update and want others to view it only(view
permissions only).

My Question is:

Can myself and other person edit the sheet at the same time?

Can I assign certain certain rows, columns only that someone can
edit(insert, update data)?

Can I make certain fields(columns/rows) mandatory while editing.
For eg, If I have a sheet with columns Name, City, St, Address, Zip
Can I make data in Zip column mandatory? (it has to be
populated)?

Thanks in Advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

No need to sort if you use the FALSE argument.

=vlookup(a1,table,3,false)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP