travelersway

Default Show Drop Down Arrow

I have a data entry sheet used for various forms by numerous people. I
have drop down windows with standard info.

How would I make the drop down window show the drop down arrow all the
time and not just when you click on that cell?

--
travelersway
travelersway's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17623

Faz

It sounds like the cell you're talking about has a validation, where it
can only take certain values from a list, which you must have put in.
To get the arrow to show all the time, you can use a combo-box, it's
the same thing only it returns a number in a cell reference, rather
than changing the actual text in the cell.

What you have - Cell with validation, returns text "very small" in that
cell
Combo box - Cell reference could be A1, returns number in A1, eg 4.

1 red
2 orange
3 yellow
4 green

This is 2 columns, the 2nd is the list of values that cell could take.
The cell reference linked in with the combo-box returns a numbered
value, depending on which value you choose in the drop down box, ie
selecting yellow returns the number 3 in the cell reference.

If you ever need this value later in the spreadsheet you could simply
use the VLOOKUP function on the 2 columns above
=VLOOKUP(Cell reference,Table array,2)

An example might be
=CONCATENATE("You wish to buy a ",A1," car.")
Where A1 is the VLOOKUP function, looking up the colour
If the combo box is on red, the formula returns
You wish to buy a red car.

--
Faz
Faz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27830

travelersway

Thank you FAZ, but all I want to do is have the arrow show that it is a
drop down window and not simply a data entry cell. When I click on the
cell the arrow appears to choose my data. I want that arrow there to
show others that the data is there for them to choose. The validation
is already set for the information.

--
travelersway
travelersway's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17623
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=476747

travelersway

Thank you Dave Peterson, but I'd like to show the drop down window with
the arrow so it is obvious what it is, a list to make a selection.

--
travelersway
travelersway's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17623
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=476747

Dave Peterson

Then you'll have to drop the Data|Validation technique.

Maybe you could replace it with a combobox from the control toolbox toolbar or a
dropdown from the Forms toolbar???

travelersway wrote:

Thank you Dave Peterson, but I'd like to show the drop down window with
the arrow so it is obvious what it is, a list to make a selection.

--
travelersway
travelersway's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17623
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=476747

--

Dave Peterson
George Nicholson

You could add a narrow column to the right of your data validation and copy
an appropriate "down pointing" VCR-type arrow symbol from Character map
(StartProgramsAccessoriesSystemToolsCharacterM ap).
..
When the data valadation cell is selected the "real" arrow will appear
rather than your added symbol.

There are drawbacks to this approach, but it clearly indicates where
dropdowns reside. It can work rather nicely if you have a vertical list of
inputs rather than horizontal.

HTH,
--
George Nicholson

Remove 'Junk' from return address.

"travelersway"
wrote in message
news:travelersway.1x20ei_1129565148.8955@excelforu m-nospam.com...

Thank you Dave Peterson, but I'd like to show the drop down window with
the arrow so it is obvious what it is, a list to make a selection.

--
travelersway
travelersway's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=476747

travelersway

Thank you all, but is there no way to set up a cell with a drop down
list to keep the appearance it has when you click on it?

--
travelersway
travelersway's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17623
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=476747

paul

yes faz and dave petersen told you how,a combo box from the forms or control
toolbar.I prefer the forms version .It will be very easy to change as you
must already have your list of data to choose from,all you need to do is
choose a place for your cell link and then I use a choose or an index to
return the value chosen

--
paul
remove nospam for email addy!