Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dan dan is offline

Default Combo box output excel 2007

Hi everyone

Hopefully somone can help me with my combo box problem. I am not any expert
in Excel so please keep any answer as simple as possible ;)

I want to use Combo box for budget matters. For example if i have a list of
different items such as:

A1 A2
Gloves 1$
Bananas 10$
Car 45$

If i choose banana from the combo box, the output value in the budget
becomes 2.

So the obvious question is. How do i make excel choose the values in A2
instead?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm not sure where your combobox is, but if you're using one placed on a
worksheet, maybe you could use Data Validation and a formula in another adjacent
cell instead.

Saved from a previous post:

Build a table on a dedicated sheet--in columns A:B.

Then you can use put your entry in A1 (of a different sheet) and use this in the
adjacent cell:

=vlookup(a1,sheet2!a:b,2,false)

Debra Dalgleish has lots of notes:
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html (for =vlookup())
and
http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html#Trouble

You may even want to make the cell where you put the material have a dropdown
showing you all the options.

Debra Dalgleish has some notes about naming the range:
http://contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html#Name
and using Data|validation on that same page.

Then the formula can change to:

=if(a1="","",vlookup(a1,sheet2!a:b,2,false)