Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default WEND in VBA

What does WEND mean in VBA code, e.g.:

While Abs(kw - Price) 0.00005
T3 = T1 + (Price - k1) * (T2 - T1) / (k2 - k1)
T1 = T2
k1 = k2
T2 = T3
k2 = (-Application.PV(T2, n, Cpn, 100) + Cpn) / (1 + t) ^ t
- sz
Wend

Does it merely mean While End, sort of like End If?

Dave
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: WEND in VBA

Yes, you are correct! WEND is short for "While End" and it is used to mark the end of a While loop in VBA code.

In the code you provided, the
  1. The While loop is checking whether the absolute difference between the variables "kw" and "Price" is greater than 0.00005.
  2. If it is, then the code inside the loop will execute.
  3. Once the condition is no longer true, the loop will end and the program will continue executing the code that comes after the WEND statement.

It's important to note that While loops can be dangerous if not used properly, as they can potentially create an infinite loop if the condition is never met. It's always a good idea to include a way to break out of the loop if necessary, such as a counter or a user input.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

While...Wend is just one of the control flow structures. I personally prefer
Do...Loop but there is nothing wrong with While...Wend. Check out this link
on the different control flow structures...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...7ecff00da4.asp
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Dave F" wrote:

What does WEND mean in VBA code, e.g.:

While Abs(kw - Price) 0.00005
T3 = T1 + (Price - k1) * (T2 - T1) / (k2 - k1)
T1 = T2
k1 = k2
T2 = T3
k2 = (-Application.PV(T2, n, Cpn, 100) + Cpn) / (1 + t) ^ t
- sz
Wend

Does it merely mean While End, sort of like End If?

Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

While Abs(kw - Price) 0.00005

As a side note, it is a little unusual here because both kw & Price do not
get changed in the loop.
It appears it could cause an endless loop.
Usually, one or both get change in the loop so that eventually kw-Price
falls below .00005.

--
Dana DeLouis
Windows XP & Office 2007

"Dave F" wrote in message
Very helpful, thanks.

Dave

"Dave F" wrote:

What does WEND mean in VBA code, e.g.:

While Abs(kw - Price) 0.00005
T3 = T1 + (Price - k1) * (T2 - T1) / (k2 - k1)
T1 = T2
k1 = k2
T2 = T3
k2 = (-Application.PV(T2, n, Cpn, 100) + Cpn) / (1 + t)
^ t
- sz
Wend

Does it merely mean While End, sort of like End If?

Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Interesting point. The VBA I pasted here is from a larger UDF that
calculates the yield on a bond.

Here's the entire function. Perhaps this would explain the purpose of the
loop:

Function B_Yield_ISMA(Sett_d As Date, Mat_D As Date, Cpn As Double, Price As
Double) As Double
'Calculates the yield of a coupon bearing bond (ISMA)
Dim L As Double, t As Double, sz As Double, T1 As Double, T2 As Double,
T3 As Double
Dim k1 As Double, k2 As Double
Dim n As Long
L = Application.Days360(Sett_d, Mat_D) / 360
n = Int(L)
t = L - n
sz = Cpn * (1 - t)
T1 = Application.Rate(L, Cpn, -Price, 100)
If IsError(T1) Then T2 = -1 Else k1 = (-Application.PV(T1, n, Cpn,
100) + Cpn) / (1 + T1) ^ t - sz
T2 = T1 + 0.00005
k2 = (-Application.PV(T2, n, Cpn, 100) + Cpn) / (1 + T2) ^ t - sz
While Abs(kw - Price) 0.00005
T3 = T1 + (Price - k1) * (T2 - T1) / (k2 - k1)
T1 = T2
k1 = k2
T2 = T3
k2 = (-Application.PV(T2, n, Cpn, 100) + Cpn) / (1 + t) ^ t
- sz
Wend
B_Yield_ISMA = T2
End Function

"Dana DeLouis" wrote:

While Abs(kw - Price) 0.00005

As a side note, it is a little unusual here because both kw & Price do not
get changed in the loop.
It appears it could cause an endless loop.
Usually, one or both get change in the loop so that eventually kw-Price
falls below .00005.

--
Dana DeLouis
Windows XP & Office 2007

"Dave F" wrote in message
Very helpful, thanks.

Dave

"Dave F" wrote:

What does WEND mean in VBA code, e.g.:

While Abs(kw - Price) 0.00005
T3 = T1 + (Price - k1) * (T2 - T1) / (k2 - k1)
T1 = T2
k1 = k2
T2 = T3
k2 = (-Application.PV(T2, n, Cpn, 100) + Cpn) / (1 + t)
^ t
- sz
Wend

Does it merely mean While End, sort of like End If?

Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

While Abs(kw - Price) 0.00005

It appears to me that kw could be a typo.
Looking at the code, my guess is that it should be

While Abs(k2 - Price) 0.00005

It appears to loop until k2 (Pv) calculation is reduced to a value close to
Price.

Since "2" is next to "w" on the keyboard, my guess is that it should be k2,
and not kw.

--
HTH :)
Dana DeLouis

"Dana DeLouis" wrote:

While Abs(kw - Price) 0.00005

As a side note, it is a little unusual here because both kw & Price do
not
get changed in the loop.
It appears it could cause an endless loop.
Usually, one or both get change in the loop so that eventually kw-Price
falls below .00005.

--
Dana DeLouis
Windows XP & Office 2007

"Dave F" wrote in message
Very helpful, thanks.

Dave

"Dave F" wrote:

What does WEND mean in VBA code, e.g.:

While Abs(kw - Price) 0.00005
T3 = T1 + (Price - k1) * (T2 - T1) / (k2 - k1)
T1 = T2
k1 = k2
T2 = T3
k2 = (-Application.PV(T2, n, Cpn, 100) + Cpn) / (1 +
t)
^ t
- sz
Wend

Does it merely mean While End, sort of like End If?

Dave
--
A hint to posters: Specific, detailed questions are more likely to
be

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You may be right. I got the code in an email from a colleague and have not
had a chance to test it.

Dave

"Dana DeLouis" wrote:

While Abs(kw - Price) 0.00005

As a side note, it is a little unusual here because both kw & Price do
not
get changed in the loop.
It appears it could cause an endless loop.
Usually, one or both get change in the loop so that eventually kw-Price
falls below .00005.

--
Dana DeLouis
Windows XP & Office 2007

"Dave F" wrote in message
Very helpful, thanks.

Dave

"Dave F" wrote:

What does WEND mean in VBA code, e.g.:

While Abs(kw - Price) 0.00005
T3 = T1 + (Price - k1) * (T2 - T1) / (k2 - k1)
T1 = T2
k1 = k2
T2 = T3
k2 = (-Application.PV(T2, n, Cpn, 100) + Cpn) / (1 +
t)
^ t
- sz
Wend

Does it merely mean While End, sort of like End If?

Dave
--
A hint to posters: Specific, detailed questions are more likely to
be

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Dana DeLouis" wrote in message
While Abs(kw - Price) 0.00005

It appears to me that kw could be a typo.
Looking at the code, my guess is that it should be

While Abs(k2 - Price) 0.00005

It appears to loop until k2 (Pv) calculation is reduced to a value close
to Price.

Since "2" is next to "w" on the keyboard, my guess is that it should be
k2, and not kw.

I seems that when Gord Dibben said to me that other day:

That's why there is a great herd of us monitoring these groups.

he wasn't kidding!

These NG's never cease to amaze me!

--

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

with @tiscali.co.uk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello,

Of course kw was a typo.

The original source of the function:
http://www.vbnum.com/download.asp?co...Bo nd%20(ISMA)

He that will not use OPTION EXPLICIT must feel...

Regards,
Bernd