Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default MERGE 3 columns into 1 all text

I found your forum and hope you can help.

I have a product spreadsheet that my IT guy just informed me that I
need to combine 3 different columns into one, I have tried the &" "&
approach for all the data, but I keep getting a circular error. Each
column is about 150 rows. All the columns/rows contain text and not
numeric value.

Thanks for any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You'll get a circular error if you try to use one of the input cells as the
destination of your formula. If your formula is =A1&" "&B1&" "&C1, don't
put the formula in A1 or B1 or C1. Put it in D1, for example.
--
David Biddulph

"Suzie" wrote in message
I found your forum and hope you can help.

I have a product spreadsheet that my IT guy just informed me that I
need to combine 3 different columns into one, I have tried the &" "&
approach for all the data, but I keep getting a circular error. Each
column is about 150 rows. All the columns/rows contain text and not
numeric value.

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Suzie wrote:
I found your forum and hope you can help.

I have a product spreadsheet that my IT guy just informed me that I
need to combine 3 different columns into one, I have tried the &" "&
approach for all the data, but I keep getting a circular error. Each
column is about 150 rows. All the columns/rows contain text and not
numeric value.

Thanks for any help.

Without specific column references to work with, an exact answer cannot be
provided. However, it would appear that you are trying to enter your formula in
one of the 3 columns you need to combine. You should enter the formula in an
empty column. So for example, if the three columns that need to be combined are
C, D and G, put the following in Z1 (assuming there is nothing in column Z):

=C1&" "&D1&" "&G1

Copy that down as far as necessary. If you want the result as text in column C,
select column Z and Edit / Copy. Select column C and Edit / Paste Special /
Values. Then delete columns Z, G and D.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming your data is in columns A-C. In cell D1:
=A1&" "&B1&" "&C1
Copy this down as needed.

Now, copy the entire column with your newly created formulas. Right-click,
paste special. Select "values only". Your combined values have now become
static, and you can remove/delete columns A-C.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M