ODI

Default Insert & link a graphic file in Excel 2003 -- updatable pictures!

I want to insert a graphic or a picture, it should be visible in Excel, but
linked with the file, so that when the file content changes, it is changed in
Excel too!

I have charts in png-format as automated outputs of a statistics application.
The file names are constant, but every month the content of the file is
different. Because the application produces new charts and saves them under
the same filename.
The links were updated automatically in Excel sheets with the XP version of
Office. It was also possible to insert the pictures as linked object in the
earlier version. What happened with this feature? In Word 2003 it's possible
to link a picture file through: Insert/ Picture/From file... The
"Insert"-Button has the option to link the content, which is not the case in
Excel!

My question again: How do I paste linked (not embedded!) pictures in Excel
2003, so that the picture can be updated and visible in Excel? I don't want a
hyperlink or an icon to open the files.

Thanks!

Dave Peterson

If I were a betting person, I'd say you were misremembering about xl2002. I
don't think it did what you describe.

In fact, I think if were approaching this problem, I'd use a macro to delete the
pictures and add them back--maybe even keep a helper worksheet that kept the
names of the picture files, the names I want to call each of the pictures, and
the position that they should be in when I add them.

--

Dave Peterson
ODI

Default Insert & link a graphic file in Excel 2003 -- updatable pictu

It should have been working, because we had those links in excel sheets,
which are now not working!

VBA-Method Shapes.AddPicture(FileName, LinkToFile, SaveWithDocument, Left,
Top, Width, Height) didn't work either: it inserts the picture but without
linking. There's a problem with linking graphics - my opinion to that is:
Microsoft did forget to implement OLE functionality for graphics in Excel
2003...

I hope there will be a bug fix soon! And we have to install Office XP back
in order to work with our linked graphics!!!

Thanks for trying to help.

ODI wrote:

[...]

ODI

Yes, exactly! This is one way of inserting, but it doesn't work either... I
tried the following:

1) It's not possible to link a picture file through: Insert/ Picture/ From
file... which is possible in Word 2003
2) Insert/ Object/ Create from file... doesn't show the picture but an icon
or an empty frame, although "display as icon" is not checked and it links the
file as "package" instead of e.g. "paint.picture"

It's just not working!!!
Didem

ODI wrote:

[...]

ODI

Sure it was working in the earlier versions! Because the pictures (.png) were
linked in Excel files and the update was working too, untill we upgraded to
Office 2003. After the rollout we first tried to update the links. As it
didn't work, we tried to repaste and link the pictures which we couldn't,
because there was no way to paste and link them. Embedding is no problem! But
we don't want static pictures.

Do you know a way to link the pictures? As I wrote before, I even tried to
link them through VBA-Code, in which the method ignored the property
"LinkToPicture" although it was set as "True"...

I feel desperate now!
Thanks for your efforts,
Didem