Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mark McDonough

Default How to lookup the minimum, 2nd minimum and 3rd minimum.........

Following up on a previous query..........I am able to look along a row of
values and return the name of the cheapest supplier thanks muchly toJohn
Topely and Bob Philips.

To obtain the name of the supplier I tried
=INDEX($B$1:$E$1,1,MATCH(MIN(IF($B2:$E20,$B2:$E2) ),$B2:$E2,0))

as suggested and it works well.

Extending on that idea, how would I go about returning the name of the
supplier that had the next cheapest rate and the third cheapest given that I
have 24 suppliers. For the purpose of illustration, I have only shown 3 in
my example.

Site Supplier A Supplier B Supplier C
Bilo1 175000 150000 125000
Bilo2 125000 50000 60000
Bilo3 50000 60000 70000

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

Second smallest

=INDEX($B$1:$E$1,1,MATCH(SMALL(IF($B2:$E20,$B2:$E 2),2),$B2:$E2,0))

Third

=INDEX($B$1:$E$1,1,MATCH(SMALL(IF($B2:$E20,$B2:$E 2),3),$B2:$E2,0))

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Mark McDonough" wrote in message
Following up on a previous query..........I am able to look along a row of
values and return the name of the cheapest supplier thanks muchly toJohn
Topely and Bob Philips.

To obtain the name of the supplier I tried
=INDEX($B$1:$E$1,1,MATCH(MIN(IF($B2:$E20,$B2:$E2) ),$B2:$E2,0))

as suggested and it works well.

Extending on that idea, how would I go about returning the name of the
supplier that had the next cheapest rate and the third cheapest given that

have 24 suppliers. For the purpose of illustration, I have only shown 3 in
my example.

Site Supplier A Supplier B Supplier C
Bilo1 175000 150000 125000
Bilo2 125000 50000 60000
Bilo3 50000 60000 70000

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Mark

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi Mark

Try the array formula (Enter with Control+Shift+Enter)
{=INDEX($B$1:$E$1,1,MATCH(SMALL(IF($B2:$E20,$B2:$ E2),COLUMN(A:A)),$B2:$E2,0))}
Copy across through successive columns.
Column(A:A) will find the first smallest. As you drag across that will
change to B:B etc to find the second smallest etc.
If there is no value that meets the test, for example if there are only
2 values out of the 3 entered, then it can't find the third smallest and
will return a #NUM error.

If you want to get rid of this, then wrap the whole formula in an error
trap
=IF(ISERROR(formula),"",formula)

--
Regards

Roger Govier

[...]

http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
120,000+ Newsgroups
=----

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Toppers

Mark,
I had posted a reply to this several days ago! As per Bob's
reply.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This works very well.....Thank you.

Just trying to understand the formula though. I have a column of minimum
data so that I can probably get by with a simpler formula.

What is the COLUMN(A:A) and SMALL for. It seems to me to be redundant. The
formula I have used is exactly as presented below but the whole calculation
does not depend on column A at all.

Having used this formula, a major hurdle has been overcome at work and now
they want me to present it to the group - quite scared!!!

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Mark

SMALL() uses arguments of 1, 2, 3 etc. to give the smallest value in a
range, the second smallest etc.
You can hard code these numbers into a formula, which means you have to
alter each formula as you copy it across the page.

COLUMN() returns the column number, COLUMN(A:A) will return 1, but as
you copy across from the first cell, then it changes to COLUMN(B:B),
COLUMN(C:C) etc. thereby stepping up the number in the argument for you
automatically so one formula can be copied across (and down) the sheet
as appropriate.

The fact that you are not using data in Column A is of no consequence,
it is merely fixing the result to be 1 in your starting formula.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

Usenet News==----