Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Why does Excel ask to save when no changes were made?

This does not pertain to a new document. I open an existing document just to
look at it, and when I go to close it, Excel asks if I want to save the
document. No changes were made, so it shouldn't have to be saved. It's
annoying.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Mike

One explanation could be that there is a time formula in a cell that has
updated on openeing so the worksheet will have changed.
--
Mike

When competing hypotheses are equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces
the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question.
Occam''''s razor (Abbrev)

"Mike" wrote:

This does not pertain to a new document. I open an existing document just to
look at it, and when I go to close it, Excel asks if I want to save the
document. No changes were made, so it shouldn't have to be saved. It's
annoying.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One cause could be the use of volatile functions in formulas such as:

CELL
INDIRECT
INFO
NOW
OFFSET
OFFSET
RAND
RANDBETWEEN
TODAY

And in certain very rare applications:

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Mike" wrote in message
This does not pertain to a new document. I open an existing document just
look at it, and when I go to close it, Excel asks if I want to save the
document. No changes were made, so it shouldn't have to be saved. It's
annoying.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To be exact if your workbook contains any volatile function (even if the
value calculated does not change) the workbook will be deemed as changed and
a save will be required...

Volatile functions include
Rand, Now, Today, Cell, Offset, Info and Indirect. UDF's can also be
volatile...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Mike" wrote:

This does not pertain to a new document. I open an existing document just to
look at it, and when I go to close it, Excel asks if I want to save the
document. No changes were made, so it shouldn't have to be saved. It's
annoying.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Mike...
Sometimes Excel will ask you to save if you change the position of the
cursor within the file as well. Hope all these help

HpY