John

Default I am trying to link based on a text value instead of cell position

I am trying to link from one workbook to another.
The source position changes, for example product 121.1 might be one cell
lower because a product 120.1 was added.

So how do I paste a link based on a value instead of a cell position?

Thank you for any information

John
Frank Kabel

Hi
you may try using VLOOKUP. See:

Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

"John" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I am trying to link from one workbook to another.
The source position changes, for example product 121.1 might be one

cell
lower because a product 120.1 was added.

So how do I paste a link based on a value instead of a cell position?

Thank you for any information

John

Bill Manville

John wrote:
So how do I paste a link based on a value instead of a cell position?

You could name the cell you want to link to (names move with cells when
rows or columns are inserted or deleted; addresses don't).

Or you could use a VLOOKUP formula, in which case it would be wise to
name the table in which you are doing the VLOOKUP

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

John

One method that I have used in this situation is to save the xcel workbook as
a web page, when you do this there is an option to auto republish whenever
the work book is saved, have the publish location be your web serve and link
into the individual htm files this way.

There may be a way to open the page in the xls format that somebody else
knows here, but this is a work around that works for me. A lot of times
opening excel pages differs depending on the browser, OS, (SP2 security may
block a script that opens a specific page altogether). I have also had
behaviour vary depending if the excel document opens within the brower or
outside.

Hope this helps