Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bkincaid

Default Join bold and non-bold text in one cell

Does anyone know how to combine bold and non-bold text into one cell?
For example, let's say you have a name (Matt) that you want bolded and
a number (10) that you want regularly formatted. You also want to add
a comma and a space. Your new string would look like this: Matt, 10
(with Matt bolded). I've tried using TEXT and CONCATENATE functions,
but I always lose the bold formatting.

--
bkincaid
bkincaid's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32654

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

Take the result of the CONCATENATE() and copy it then paste/special as value.
In this form you can select parts of the string and format them as bold.
--
Gary's Student

"bkincaid" wrote:

Does anyone know how to combine bold and non-bold text into one cell?
For example, let's say you have a name (Matt) that you want bolded and
a number (10) that you want regularly formatted. You also want to add
a comma and a space. Your new string would look like this: Matt, 10
(with Matt bolded). I've tried using TEXT and CONCATENATE functions,
but I always lose the bold formatting.

--
bkincaid
bkincaid's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32654
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=524607

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK

You can't change the format using a formula.

If you had the text "Matt, 10" in a cell, then you could edit the cell
and highlight "Matt" and then turn bold on to affect only this part.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:19:54 -0600, bkincaid
wrote:

Does anyone know how to combine bold and non-bold text into one cell?
For example, let's say you have a name (Matt) that you want bolded and
a number (10) that you want regularly formatted. You also want to add
a comma and a space. Your new string would look like this: Matt, 10
(with Matt bolded). I've tried using TEXT and CONCATENATE functions,
but I always lose the bold formatting.

The only way I know of to format different parts of a string differently,
within the same cell, is to

1. Have a string in the cell (NOT a formula).
2. Select the particular characters you wish to format and format accordingly.

This can also be done using a VBA macro, but you do have to have a string in
the cell.

If you could give more details on how your data is set up, it should be
possible to construct a macro to do this.
--ron