PboB

Default Excel to Excel, Cut & Paste, 1 cell, text, multiplies file size f.

Hello
I have two Excel files, the main file is ~1MB and the other is 43KB. When I
Cut and Paste between the two the system takes 2 minutes to complete the C&P
operation. After several C&P the delay is in the 10+ min range. If I save and
exit the file the master is now over 10MB. Each operation is no more then 1
or 2 cells at a time, the cells are text only. If I cut from the cell but
enter on the formula bar, 1 cell at a time, I have no problem. I do this
operation all the time and have never had this problem before. I am assuming
it is from the smaller Excel file but cannot find a problem with it.
Thanks

CyberTaz

You don't mention what ver. of Excel or Windows, so it is more difficult to
guess. It sounds like more of an equipment problem, though.

What is the condition of your hard drive in terms of fragmentation?

Are both files on the same drive? Is that drive local or network?

More info please |:)

"PboB" wrote:

Hello
I have two Excel files, the main file is ~1MB and the other is 43KB. When I
Cut and Paste between the two the system takes 2 minutes to complete the C&P
operation. After several C&P the delay is in the 10+ min range. If I save and
exit the file the master is now over 10MB. Each operation is no more then 1
or 2 cells at a time, the cells are text only. If I cut from the cell but
enter on the formula bar, 1 cell at a time, I have no problem. I do this
operation all the time and have never had this problem before. I am assuming
it is from the smaller Excel file but cannot find a problem with it.
Thanks

PboB

Thanks for replying
System is Windows XP, Excel is Office 2000, originally the 1MB file was
networked but in trying to resolve this I copied it to my system and worked
locally. Havent run the systems utilities in a while, however, there are no
problems at all until I open the two files and copy a cell from the smaller
file to the larger file. I am thinking it is something to do with merged
cells or formatting. I am only inputting text to <20 cells so there is no
accounting for going from 1MB to 10MB.
In the main file I ended up highlighting all unused cells to the right my
data and deleting them, same for below, Did a global change to font, size and
position and the file was back to normal. Again the strange thing is if I
copy from the first file and enter on the formula bar for the second its
fine, but if I click the cell and do ctrl-v to paste it is all over. Lastly
because I wasnt sure of the version of the smaller file I did a save as and
re opened and got the same results€¦its a good one J

"PboB" wrote:

Hello
I have two Excel files, the main file is ~1MB and the other is 43KB. When I
Cut and Paste between the two the system takes 2 minutes to complete the C&P
operation. After several C&P the delay is in the 10+ min range. If I save and
exit the file the master is now over 10MB. Each operation is no more then 1
or 2 cells at a time, the cells are text only. If I cut from the cell but
enter on the formula bar, 1 cell at a time, I have no problem. I do this
operation all the time and have never had this problem before. I am assuming
it is from the smaller Excel file but cannot find a problem with it.
Thanks

PboB

I have tracked down this much,
The cells in the smaller file had dead / invalid hyper links. They most
likely were introduced when parts of the master file were originally cut &
pasted to make the new smaller file, the cells changed but the hyper link
never removed. When a cell in this condition was cut and pasted back into the
master it corrupted the entire hyper link listing of the worksheet. Whole
block of empty cells now had hyper links, mostly invalid and not displayed in
the cell.
So with the why question answered I now need to find out how to delete ALL
hyper links without removing the cell contents. If I find it I will post it
back here.