Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default MsgBox position

When wanting a MsgBox to appear, how can it be programmed
to appear towards the right of a worksheet intead of its
default-nature to appear in the center of a worksheet?

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here's an example that positions the msgbox to the right of Excel's window:

Type RECT
Left As Long
Top As Long
Right As Long
Bottom As Long
End Type

Public Declare Function UnhookWindowsHookEx Lib "user32" ( _
ByVal hHook As Long) As Long
Public Declare Function GetWindowLong Lib "user32" Alias _
"GetWindowLongA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal nIndex As Long) _
As Long
Public Declare Function GetCurrentThreadId Lib "kernel32" () As Long
Public Declare Function SetWindowsHookEx Lib "user32" Alias _
"SetWindowsHookExA" (ByVal idHook As Long, ByVal lpfn As Long, _
ByVal hmod As Long, ByVal dwThreadId As Long) As Long
Public Declare Function SetWindowPos Lib "user32" ( _
ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal hWndInsertAfter As Long, _
ByVal x As Long, ByVal y As Long, ByVal cx As Long, _
ByVal cy As Long, ByVal wFlags As Long) As Long
Public Declare Function GetWindowRect Lib "user32" (ByVal hwnd _
As Long, lpRect As RECT) As Long
Public Declare Function GetActiveWindow Lib "user32" () As Long
Public Declare Function FindWindow Lib "user32" Alias "FindWindowA" _
(ByVal lpClassName As String, ByVal lpWindowName As String) As Long

Public Const GWL_HINSTANCE = (-6)
Public Const SWP_NOSIZE = &H1
Public Const SWP_NOZORDER = &H4
Public Const SWP_NOACTIVATE = &H10
Public Const HCBT_ACTIVATE = 5
Public Const WH_CBT = 5
Public hHook As Long
Public hXL As Long

Sub ShowMsgBox()
Dim hInst As Long
Dim Thread As Long
hXL = FindWindow("XLMAIN", Application.Caption)
hInst = GetWindowLong(hXL, GWL_HINSTANCE)
Thread = GetCurrentThreadId()
hHook = SetWindowsHookEx(WH_CBT, AddressOf WinProc, hInst, Thread)
MsgBox "This message box has been positioned to the top right of Excel's
window."
End Sub

Function WinProc(ByVal lMsg As Long, ByVal wParam As Long, _
ByVal lParam As Long) As Long
Dim rectXL As RECT, rectMsg As RECT
Dim x As Long, y As Long
Dim hMsgbox As Long

If lMsg = HCBT_ACTIVATE Then
hMsgbox = GetActiveWindow
GetWindowRect hXL, rectXL
GetWindowRect wParam, rectMsg
x = (rectXL.Left + (rectXL.Right - rectXL.Left) * 0.75) - _
((rectMsg.Right - rectMsg.Left) / 2)
y = (rectXL.Top + (rectXL.Bottom - rectXL.Top) * 0.3) - _
((rectMsg.Bottom - rectMsg.Top) / 2)
SetWindowPos wParam, 0, x, y, 0, 0, _
SWP_NOSIZE Or SWP_NOZORDER Or SWP_NOACTIVATE
UnhookWindowsHookEx hHook
End If
WinProc = False
End Function

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP
"Jeff" wrote in message
| When wanting a MsgBox to appear, how can it be programmed
| to appear towards the right of a worksheet intead of its
| default-nature to appear in the center of a worksheet?
|
| Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dear Jim:

Thank you very much for your reply.

Your code worked like a charm.

I had never used Function code and related declarations before, so
this took a little while to decipher.

Your generosity is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

All the best,

Jeff

how can I get a msgbox? AND Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 February 12th 09 01:47 PM
msgbox scottnshelly[_29_] Excel Programming 1 April 29th 04 07:47 AM
Msgbox serge Excel Programming 1 January 28th 04 02:48 PM
Determine the position of a MsgBox Tom Excel Programming 0 August 9th 03 02:36 PM
Position of MsgBox Konrad[_2_] Excel Programming 0 August 7th 03 05:27 PM