lil'bit

Default Strange formula popping up

Hello. I have a problem in excel 2003. My SS has lots and lots of
figures on it. I used format with no $ , 2 decimals, and chose (1234.
56). However every time I try to enter an amount in the minus in any
cell it comes out strange.

For instance say I want to enter (250.00).
It does this: - 250.F8 (or any other cell ). and then jumps to the cell
next to it and does the little flashing 'outline the cell' thingy. I
tried deleting and clearing all the formulas and then reformatting but
it keeps doing it. Amounts in the black come out just fine such as
1234.56. It only does it in a cell with minus.

What am I doing wrong? I don't want to lose all the data I have
entered but ....

--
lil'bit

married, muddled, and mistook
lil'bit's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4306
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=483572

Dave O

There may be macros built into the spreadsheet that invoke when you
enter a negative number. Did you inherit this spreadsheet from someone?

lil'bit

In a way I did inherit it. The company has a template so I copied the
template and proceeded from there to insert data. But why won't the
strange formula disappear when I use the ' clear formula '? Also tried
re-entering the correct format and it doesn't go away.

--
lil'bit

married, muddled, and mistook
lil'bit's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4306
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=483572

Dave Peterson

If you close excel then reopen it in safe mode, then open your file, does it
work ok?

close excel
windows start button|Run
excel /safe

File|Open your workbook

If it works ok, then you could have a worksheet event that runs automatically
when you make a change.

Rightclick on the worksheet tab and select view code.

If you see stuff there that looks Greek, it may be time to get the developer
involved.

lil'bit wrote:

In a way I did inherit it. The company has a template so I copied the
template and proceeded from there to insert data. But why won't the
strange formula disappear when I use the ' clear formula '? Also tried
re-entering the correct format and it doesn't go away.

--
lil'bit

married, muddled, and mistook
lil'bit's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4306
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=483572

--

Dave Peterson
lil'bit

Argh. Such frustration. I can't start excel in safe. When I click on run
and the box pops up, I enter: excel/safe Then click ok.

Another box pops up that says : Windows cannot find 'excel/safe'.

The company said I can play around with the template and get it right.
So isn't there just some way to undo the formatting on the template?
Everytime I try, it still does the same thing. I'm clearing and
deleting like crazy and no go.

--
lil'bit

married, muddled, and mistook
lil'bit's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4306
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=483572

lil'bit

Ok, thank you everyone. I got in safe mode and clicked on view mode and
everything looks ok to me. Well thanks for trying. :) Think I'll just
make up my own ss next month and not use the template.