Penny

Default combing two bar charts to share one axis

The tornado chart on Peltiertech's website is somewhat useful. I do not
understand, however, from where the numbers come to put in the "dummy"
series.

Thanks in advance.
Penny

"Andy Pope" wrote:

Hi Penny,

I think your description of jetting left and right fits that of a
tornado chart. Check Jon's example.
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/tornadochart.html

Cheers
Andy

Penny wrote:
My data is organized into three columns (e.g., column A represents a
category, column B represents a frequency for each category and Column C
represents another frequency for each category). I first created two bar
charts such that the Y axis represented categories (i.e., -5 to 5, 5 to 15,
15 to 20, etc) and the X axis represented frequency 0 to 100.

I would like to have one bar chart so that the two charts above share a
common Y (categories) axis. I would then like the frequency for the data in
Column A to jet off to the Right and the frequency for the data in Column B
to jet off to the Left.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Barb Reinhardt

Think of the dummy series as data for a bar that will get you from the Y
axis to the left side of the tornado chart. Let's say you have the
following set of data for the left side of your tornado chart.

10
8
6
4
2

You want the right edge of the tornado chart to be 15 units from the Y axis.
You'll need to define a dummy series to get you to the left side of that
data set.

Dummy = 15-Above data set

Dummy Original Data set
5 10
7 8
9 6
11 4
13 2

It's easier to see when the bars or columns are displayed. You eventually
reformat them so that they are no longer visible.

I hope this clarifies things some.

Barb Reinhardt

Penny wrote:
My data is organized into three columns (e.g., column A represents a
category, column B represents a frequency for each category and Column

represents another frequency for each category). I first created two

bar
charts such that the Y axis represented categories (i.e., -5 to 5, 5

to 15,
15 to 20, etc) and the X axis represented frequency 0 to 100.

I would like to have one bar chart so that the two charts above share

common Y (categories) axis. I would then like the frequency for the

data in
Column A to jet off to the Right and the frequency for the data in

Column B
to jet off to the Left.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Jon Peltier

What Barb means is, I'm just making it up as I go along.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Penny wrote:

My data is organized into three columns (e.g., column A represents a
category, column B represents a frequency for each category and Column

represents another frequency for each category). I first created two

bar

charts such that the Y axis represented categories (i.e., -5 to 5, 5

to 15,

15 to 20, etc) and the X axis represented frequency 0 to 100.

I would like to have one bar chart so that the two charts above share

common Y (categories) axis. I would then like the frequency for the

data in

Column A to jet off to the Right and the frequency for the data in

Column B

to jet off to the Left.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Penny

I am starting from scratch because this is getting more and more complicated
and I must understand how I get what I get - before, I accidentally got the
graph that I was wanting without really understanding how I got it.

So, I copied the data from your website into an excel sheet and was working
step by step. When I first created the chart, the listing of the my groups
(group 6, group 5, etc.) runs down the center of the chart as opposed to the
lefthand side. I have tried various things. How do I move them to the left
hand side of the chart?

Thanks, Penny (I kind of feel like I am talking with a celebrity)!