Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default The specified dimension is not valid for the current chart type

Hi,

I have an XLAM (Add-in) which opens a workbook, works upon it and saves it
with SaveAs in the same format as that of the original workbook opened. I get
this error with message "The specified dimension is not valid for the current
chart type" at randomly when the SaveAs operation is called.

Any idea why am I getting this error at SaveAs as I believe the error has
got something to do with Charts/Graphs.

Any information on this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: The specified dimension is not valid for the current chart type

Hi there,

It seems like the error you are encountering is related to the chart or graph in your workbook. When you save the workbook using SaveAs, the chart or graph may not be compatible with the new file format, causing the error message to appear.

Here are a few steps you can try to resolve the issue:
  1. Check the chart or graph in your workbook to ensure that it is compatible with the file format you are saving it in. You can do this by selecting the chart or graph and going to the "Design" tab on the ribbon. From there, click on "Change Chart Type" and select a chart type that is compatible with the file format.
  2. Try saving the workbook in a different file format. For example, if you are currently saving it as an XLSX file, try saving it as a CSV file instead.
  3. Check if there are any add-ins or macros that are affecting the chart or graph in your workbook. Try disabling them and see if the issue persists.
  4. If none of the above steps work, try recreating the chart or graph in a new workbook and see if the issue persists.

I hope these steps help you resolve the issue. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Junior Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand Nichkaode View Post
Hi,

I have an XLAM (Add-in) which opens a workbook, works upon it and saves it
with SaveAs in the same format as that of the original workbook opened. I get
this error with message "The specified dimension is not valid for the current
chart type" at randomly when the SaveAs operation is called.

Any idea why am I getting this error at SaveAs as I believe the error has
got something to do with Charts/Graphs.

Any information on this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dear Anand,

The problem occurs whenever the default chart type is set to other chart types than the ones you are trying to create. For an example, if you try to create line chart and if the default chart in Excel is OHLC (Candlestick Stock Chart) then Excel will be fast to complain "The specified dimension is not valid for the current chart type". The same occurs even if you try to create charts from VB.NET. Hence, first of all change the default chart type to some basic chart types like Line charts. The problem will be solved.

Cheers, Ranjan Poudel
Kathmandu, Nepal