Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Saving a newer version of Excel using an older version (Excel 97)

Hi,

I've got a file which I created at work (using Excel 2007, I think). It
doesn't use any fancy features, just the basics.

I've brought it home to my work laptop which has Excel 97 on it, and now
every time I save it I get an annoying message:

"This file was created using a later version of Microsoft Excel. If you save
this file using Microsoft Excel 97, information created with features in the
later version may be lost."

I've tried resaving it, without ever getting rid of this silly message. Is
there any way to stop the message appearing every time I press save?
Upgrading to the newer version of Excel is not an option.

Thanks,
Alain

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi, Alain.

Visit Microsoft. Start here...

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...686761033.aspx

and you can download there pack to allow you to open and work with older
versions of Word, Excel etc.

Best wishes,

Ed

"Alain Dekker" wrote in message

I've got a file which I created at work (using Excel 2007, I think). It
doesn't use any fancy features, just the basics.

I've brought it home to my work laptop which has Excel 97 on it, and now
every time I save it I get an annoying message:

"This file was created using a later version of Microsoft Excel. If you
save this file using Microsoft Excel 97, information created with features
in the later version may be lost."

I've tried resaving it, without ever getting rid of this silly message. Is
there any way to stop the message appearing every time I press save?
Upgrading to the newer version of Excel is not an option.

Thanks,
Alain

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks but you misunderstand. I've got a file created in Office 2007 (but
saved with XLS extension). It opens fine in Excel 97, but displays this
message about being created in a newer version when saved.

I would like to see the message disappear after I've acknowledged it once (a
bit like those dialogs you see that have a tickbox saying "Don't show me
this again").

Regards,
Alain

"Ed O'Brien" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry, Alain. I should read slower!

I am afraid this message will always appear. Every time the document is
saved (or closed) in the old (97) version, this message is renewed and will
reappear next time you open it. A cross you will have to bear unfortunately.
If it is opened in 2007, it will automatically open in compatibility mode
without any message appearing, but will continue to be saved as .xls.

Sorry I can't help further...

Regards,

"Ed O'Brien" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you save as a 97 workbook does the message go away?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Ed O'Brien" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Good thought, but I have already tried that. The answer is no. Its very
strange. I've tried various of the options in the Save As drop down, and
after I've closed the XLS file, then reopened (in Excel 97) when I go to
save it again, I get the message again. I've tried saving it in a different
location, no help.

There should be a way to force the file to think its a Excel 97 file, right?
Maybe its possible to hack the SS file format do when its next loaded, Excel
thinks its created with Excel 97?

"Ed O'Brien" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You created the file in 2007 and saved as a 2003-97 file.

You open it in 97 and get the message about being created in newer version.

You say OK and save it in 97 as a 97 *.xls.

Re-open and still get the message?

I can't think why that's happening.

I don't have anything but 2003 and 2007 installed but cannot replicate the
behaviour.

Gord

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 23:02:11 +0100, "Alain Dekker"
wrote:

Good thought, but I have already tried that. The answer is no. Its very
strange. I've tried various of the options in the Save As drop down, and
after I've closed the XLS file, then reopened (in Excel 97) when I go to
save it again, I get the message again. I've tried saving it in a different
location, no help.

There should be a way to force the file to think its a Excel 97 file, right?
Maybe its possible to hack the SS file format do when its next loaded, Excel
thinks its created with Excel 97?

Thanks,
Alain

.. .

"Ed O'Brien" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well I'm using Excel 97, not Excel 2003, so it might be a bug in Excel 97.

I suppose one option I might try (after copying to a 2nd temp location) is
to create a new, blank workbook in Excel 97 and then copy and paste all data
from the 2007-created workbook into the Excel 97 one. Then see what happens
(surely this must work???).

Will try and report back here on the results...

wrote:

Good thought, but I have already tried that. The answer is no. Its very
strange. I've tried various of the options in the Save As drop down, and
after I've closed the XLS file, then reopened (in Excel 97) when I go to
save it again, I get the message again. I've tried saving it in a
different
location, no help.

There should be a way to force the file to think its a Excel 97 file,
right?
Maybe its possible to hack the SS file format do when its next loaded,
Excel
thinks its created with Excel 97?

Thanks,
Alain